The endless grey screen of doom...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I'm sure this has been brought to this forum countless times.

I restarted my Macbook yesterday and now I'm only getting the grey screen eventually resulting in the file with this question mark in it blinking at me. I went through and tried all the keystrokes while starting it up: 'Option' to look at the drives, 'Shift' to go into safe mode, so on. None of these work.

Today I got my latest OSX disc and insert it, it finally acted like it was going to do something as I noticed it was no longer the grey screen with the questionable file logo. This time it was the Apple logo sitting there stationary. However, it would go no further. I thought this may be a good time to go and check out the 'Option' key start up. It brought up a logo for the OSX disc and I clicked it, but it just went right back to the grey screen with the Apple logo and is going no further.

Any solutions? I need this issue resolved ASAP as this is my business and teaching computer. Nearest Apple store is about an hour away. Wondering if anyone here has the answers.

Thank you all in advance!

-BS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yeah, that's cool. But there's still no resolve to those posts. I'm thinking it's just hard drive failure.

It may well be hard drive failure. But there was a resolve in the link I posted… resetting the PRAM worked for one member who replied. Did you not try that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive
its either a failed hard drive(hopefully not) or the better of the 2 a bad operating system, which simply requires a reinstall. If failed hard drive, and your comfortable with working inside your mac like I am, replace the hard drive with a new one.

Reaction score
its either a failed hard drive(hopefully not) or the better of the 2 a bad operating system, which simply requires a reinstall. If failed hard drive, and your comfortable with working inside your mac like I am, replace the hard drive with a new one.

Start up from OS X Disc, launch Disk Utility from Tools menu - if drive isn't listed in left hand column it's most likely HD failure....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive
Start up from OS X Disc, launch Disk Utility from Tools menu - if drive isn't listed in left hand column it's most likely HD failure....
My friend's does this, and I looked at it, and it needs a harddrive, the idiots at best buy told him he needs a mobo...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.