Macbook Pro won't recognise new internal HD, but sees old one fine...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried to replace my 160GB HD on my 2007 MBP with a Seagate Momentus 750GB drive today. Firstly I used SuperDuper to copy my OSX startup disk to the new drive, mounted in a USB caddy. I verified that the copy on the new drive was OK by alt-restarting my MBP with it connected in the caddy and selecting it as the startup disk. It started up fine.

So then I replaced my old HD with the new one, and started up. The drive was not recognised - I got the blinking questionmark folder... So I replaced the old HD and all was fine again. I did this twice, each time with the same result.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, and if I can solve the problem?

Many thanks,
Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did you format it at all?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the OP was able to boot from the clone while it was in the caddy the drive format shouldn't be an issue I think. Wonder if that model has a max capacity limit for the hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If the OP was able to boot from the clone while it was in the caddy the drive format shouldn't be an issue I think. Wonder if that model has a max capacity limit for the hard drive?
That could be very possible! I would still like to know he if formatted it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no max capacity for the MBP he's trying to install the drive to. And as far as formatting goes, SuperDuper does that automatically when it creates the clone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's what I thought on both counts. Wasn't sure about the capacity. Something else odd is going on.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments all. I eventually sorted it by installing the new drive in the MBP and repartitioning it using the Snow Leopard install disk, then installing a completely fresh OS and using Migration Assistant to take all my old stuff from the old HD in the USB caddy. Not sure why the SuperDuper created drive was not recognisable in the MBP in the first place.
Sean

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments all. I eventually sorted it by installing the new drive in the MBP and repartitioning it using the Snow Leopard install disk, then installing a completely fresh OS and using Migration Assistant to take all my old stuff from the old HD in the USB caddy. Not sure why the SuperDuper created drive was not recognisable in the MBP in the first place.
Sean

Hi all
Sorry i am reopening the case. Did you manage to fix it? It is surely so long ago, but could u still give me any hint?
I have exactly the same problem, but couldnt fix it. I installed a new HDD in my MPB (late 2009). It wasnt recognize; i then connect it through usb, format it, installed leopard on it. but as, i reinstalled it back into the mbp ==> same old problem... but the old hdd is recognized though.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi all
Sorry i am reopening the case. Did you manage to fix it? It is surely so long ago, but could u still give me any hint?
I have exactly the same problem, but couldnt fix it. I installed a new HDD in my MPB (late 2009). It wasnt recognize; i then connect it through usb, format it, installed leopard on it. but as, i reinstalled it back into the mbp ==> same old problem... but the old hdd is recognized though.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Well, as I said, I put the new hard drive in to the MBP, used my Snow Leopard disk's disk utility to format it and then installed the OS on it, using migration assistant to bring back my data fro the old hd which I put into a USB caddy.
Good luck,
Sean

Reaction score
Well, as I said, I put the new hard drive in to the MBP, used my Snow Leopard disk's disk utility to format it and then installed the OS on it, using migration assistant to bring back my data fro the old hd which I put into a USB caddy.
Good luck,
Sean

Craaap... I did almost the same thing. I restored from my TM instead. I don't understand it :-(
Thanks for the reply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.