MBP RAM and Photoshop

Reaction score
Was talking to the manager at the Apple store the other day, and he told me that Adobe Photoshop is optimized (?!) to max out at 4 GB RAM on the MBP, thus rendering the need for any additional RAM superfluous. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Was talking to the manager at the Apple store the other day, and he told me that Adobe Photoshop is optimized (?!) to max out at 4 GB RAM on the MBP, thus rendering the need for any additional RAM superfluous. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

More RAM is helpful when working with very large images in PS, also running like PS, Illy, Dreamweaver simultaneously. More RAM also helps when running Virtual Machines and things like that.

Yes, there are people out there that can use up to 6 or 7 gigs on a laptop out of their 8. Some laptops can go up to 12gb of RAM, which some users need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
On this topic....

I have to say that I run Illustrator, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop together pretty often, and sometimes iMovie at the same time. I'm on a 15 inch macbook pro with 4gb of stock ram. I have yet to honestly notice any problems because of ram. Now granted I'm not doing anything nearly as intense as hardcore animation or any very serious video editing, but so far 4GB has served me well. I rarely bottleneck either and I'm still on a 2.8 core 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Well whether this is true or not it depends on what else you are using along with Photoshop. Unlike TheGreatApple I do notice some slowdown when I'm running other software along with Photoshop. I also have 4 GB. The performance issues will depend on what you are doing in Photoshop and what your other applications are doing. The best thing to do is test it out and see if you are getting any slowdowns.

I personally don't think there is any need to buy more RAM if you don't need it. You can always add more RAM later though so there is no need to rush out and get more. This gives you time to test whether you need more or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I am constantly running Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects and Encore (All CS5) at the same time. I have 4GB of RAM and don't really notice any slow-downs. This is typically with iTunes, Mail, iCal, Tweetie, Pages and Chrome open as well.

I'm working with HD video and HDR photographs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well whether this is true or not it depends on what else you are using along with Photoshop. Unlike TheGreatApple I do notice some slowdown when I'm running other software along with Photoshop. I also have 4 GB. The performance issues will depend on what you are doing in Photoshop and what your other applications are doing. The best thing to do is test it out and see if you are getting any slowdowns.

I personally don't think there is any need to buy more RAM if you don't need it. You can always add more RAM later though so there is no need to rush out and get more. This gives you time to test whether you need more or not.

To be fair, it's probably not true that I don't notice anything what so every in terms of lag. I don't focus on it much because my previous machine was almost impossible to do anything heavy with. So I'm sure there is def. some sort of lag, but it's nothing too major for me. That being said I'm sure I'll see a performance increase with 8GB of ram compared to 4GB, just meant that for me personally it's not as if I HAVE TO have the 8GB to properly get work done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Just to let you know I was responding to the OP's Photoshop being optimized for 4 GB question. I wasn't replying to your post in case you thought I did. I was just lazy about quoting. ;)

...just meant that for me personally it's not as if I HAVE TO have the 8GB to properly get work done.
I'm in the same situation. I don't have to have 8 GB but it would be nice. Also when I say I notice slowdowns it's not a long lasting slowdown but rather split seconds of lag while my computer tries to catch up but like I said earlier it depends on what I'm doing because I don't always get the lag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
How do you guys know when you need more RAM? What are the "signs" that your maxing out, or about to?

Im gonna be doing some recording with my MBP 17, on Garage Band for now then going with Logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This should answer that for you.
Upgrading RAM: FAQs | Computers | Macworld

In short, your Mac should handle things quite well with the 4GB RAM.
I'd be inclined to get a 7200 RPM HD if you don't already have one.
If you are going to be doing some serious recording, the faster HD and RAM upgrade would be a good option.
Memory Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz (17-inch Unibody w/Intel Core i5) - April 2010 at OtherWorldComputing.com
Data Storage Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz (17-inch Unibody w/Intel Core i5) - April 2010 at OtherWorldComputing.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.