• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Could anyone offer some advice please :-)

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've been looking into learning video editing software recently and was wondering if anyone could advise me on what was better to use; either Final Cut Pro or Premiere and After Effects? I've looked around on the net at the debate of 'Final cut Pro vs Adobe premiere' and are still none the wiser on which to pursue. I've got a mac with cs5 master collection installed so I know this must sound crazy that I am thinking of learning Final Cut Pro. I guess what I don't want to do is learn software which isn't the industry standard?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Regards
Paul

T

todd51

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't After Effects more about just the "special effects" added to a movie? I think Final Cut is more for digitizing the video off the camera and editing it together from the raw footage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The question is what is the industry standard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Yea +1 and to add to it, i believe its a personal choice in what YOU want to use. Dont be a sheep and follow ..... :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

I've got a mac with cs5 master collection installed so I know this must sound crazy that I am thinking of learning Final Cut Pro. I guess what I don't want to do is learn software which isn't the industry standard?

There is no one industry standard. Indeed, there are several top contenders in the professional video-editing market including Avid Media Composer in addition to Final Cut Studio and Adobe Premiere Pro.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't After Effects more about just the "special effects" added to a movie?

You're right; the OP *probably* meant to say "Adobe Premiere Pro," which is their video-editing software for the Mac.

See above. Final Cut seems to be the "rising star," enjoying very wide popularity with both television and movie editors, but the older established brands like Avid and Adobe Premiere have their fans as well.

I don't use pro video-editing software for a living, so I don't feel qualified to pass judgement on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
All three are used by productions companies. Avid and Adobe have been around longer so you'll probably find more pro's who use it, but Final Cut Pro is fast becoming the industry standard and more and more editors are using it. I prefer FCP simply because it works well on my Mac and is "Apple-y", but from what I can tell they all work very similarly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.