Apple Cinema Display query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
I have a 20 inch Apple Cinema Display (aluminium model).

I don't have a Mac here to attach the screen to, but out of curiosity plugged the power cord in to the mains and pressed the power button on the side to see if it would at least power up. Nothing happens.

I see what looks like a tiny hole, bottom right on the front of the aluminium surround. Is it a power indicator that should light up when the display is connected to the mains or does the screen only turn on once all the other various cables are connected as well? Or is the screen knackered?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you try connecting to your PC's DVI cable?

OP
born_to_hula
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
Thanks for your reply.

As I said above, I don't have a Mac (or PC) here so cannot connect the display to anything other than the mains power.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know my older 22" Cinema just before they went to aluminum when plugged in does nothing till it detects a signal from the computer.

I just tried it and the light came on and went off. You get nothing when you plug it in and press the button? That Pinhole I am pretty sure is the power light.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As I said above, I don't have a Mac (or PC) here so cannot connect the display to anything other than the mains power.

You need to get a computer to help with the testing.

This is like saying...I have a lawn mower...but I don't have a lawn to test it on.

Get a computer that you can plug this monitor into to do some proper testing!:)

- Nick

OP
born_to_hula
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi pigoo3
, thanks for replying.

''This is like saying...I have a lawn mower...but I don't have a lawn to test it on''

Not really: I'd still be able to start the mower to see if it worked... which is what my original question was about: should the display at least power on, even thought the other cables aren't connected?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hi pigoo3
, thanks for replying.

''This is like saying...I have a lawn mower...but I don't have a lawn to test it on''

Not really: I'd still be able to start the mower to see if it worked... which is what my original question was about: should the display at least power on, even thought the other cables aren't connected?

As stated, it might well power on, but without any video signal, it might not show anything at all. Just powering it on isn't akin to starting your mower, it is the same as pouring gas in it and assessing that it's working OK. The actual starting part of it is like feeding the video signal..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The purpose of a lawn mower is to cut the grass. If the mower runs but you have no grass to cut...then you don't know for sure if the lawnmower will cut grass!;)

Same with this Cinema Display. If you don't have a computer to attach it too...you cannot be 100% sure that it works.

Another way of looking a it. Someone could purchase a BRAND NEW computer monitor...but without a computer to plug it into...you cannot be 100% sure that it works.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What he is asking though is should the power light come on when he presses Power with no computer connected? I answered but my knowledge is limited to the older plastic Displays. Never used the newer ones so not sure. Mine comes on and goes off unless there is a signal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What he is asking though is should the power light come on when he presses Power with no computer connected?

Yeah I know this is what the OP wants to know...but it would really be best to test a monitor with an actual computer.:)

@born_to_hula:

I did a test with my 30" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display...which I have no reason to believe wouldn't work the same as the 20" ACD. When I did the testing...the monitor was NOT plugged into a computer.

- If the monitor is connected to "the mains" AND the power button has NOT been touched...the little light in the bottom right corner is NOT on.
- If the monitor is connected to "the mains" AND the power button has been touched...the little light in the bottom right corner should be on.

There's the answer.:) I still recommend plugging this monitor into a computer to properly test it...just in case there is something else going on that would impact whether this monitor is working properly or not.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.