• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Texas couple suing Apple over Facetime safety issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not read this Randy!

As I say Lisa 'If it wasn;t for lawyers ... we wouldn't need lawyers!"

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
True Harry BUT lawyers still require clients. And in the spirit of full disclosure - my dad was a lawyer. ;D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You poor, poor lass! jo wonder you call your Mac Pro by a girl's name!!

Reaction score
Do not read this Randy!

As I say Lisa 'If it wasn;t for lawyers ... we wouldn't need lawyers!"

Well, that is a clueless bigoted statement.

Sadly, folks in the U.S. don't have the slightest idea about how our legal system works, and what they think that they know is more than likely due to a very expensive misinformation campaign that the public just ate up. Have a look at this entertaining episode of Adam Ruins Everything:

Adam Ruins Justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nSg2AQiJzg
You may want to skip to 1:35 where they start talking about the famous McDonalds "hot coffee" lawsuit.

Citations:
http://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/blog/adams-sources/adam-ruins-justice.html

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't sweat it Randy. My dad was an amazing lawyer. He always told me there are ambulance chasers and then there are those who practice law. He practiced law.

Lisa

Reaction score
Don't sweat it Randy. My dad was an amazing lawyer. He always told me there are ambulance chasers and then there are those who practice law. He practiced law.

That's great to hear. Actually, because of my user group, I've had the opportunity to meet hundreds of attorneys. The vast majority of them are truly the most amazing people you could ever hope to meet. Sadly there are also a surprising (but still small) number of very scary sociopaths in the profession.

I think that if the majority of attorneys told you the details of the cases that they handled, that you would be very proud of them.

I think that if folks have a look at the video that I gave the link to, that they will be both entertained and pleasantly enlightened.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well my three brothers and I were permitted to attend court trials both ones he was arguing and others that were of interest. Years ago in 1975, I actually got to watch James Urban Ruppert's trial (which if you look up his name will give away where I grew up. ;D ) I learned so many life lessons from not only watching the various proceedings, but my dad would review what we saw and we would discuss the outcome, what we thought and what we might have missed or considered. His patience and willingness to put in the time on all of us growing up I later learned was a rare and precious commodity.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I really feel so sad for the parents. Avoidable incidents like this are infuriating. It has been well said that two most uncommon qualities in people seem to be common knowledge and common sense. I am a big fan of the "Darwin Awards" but regrettably the victims are not always the perpetrators.
Unfortunately the alternatives are what we Aussies have come to call the "Nanny State". Putting measures in place to prevent themselves (or others) becoming the victims of their own stupidity. Breathalysers and seat belt alarms built into cars, beach patrols to force people to swim between the flags and warning signs which state the bleeding obvious in order to avoid litigation.

2017-01-09 11:12:19.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.