Mountain Lion not booting up - AppleUSBMultitouchDriver Error

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Mac book Pro with Mountain Lion. Today when I was browsing in google chrome, it hanged. I waited for some time and then turned off the macbook by long pressing the power button. Again when I try to turn on the macbook, its not booting.

I tried booting in verbose mode. Booting is getting stucked at "AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received status packet, payload 2: device was reinitialized".

After 15-20 minutes "Cannot mount root, errno = 19" gets displayed.

Safe mode booting (holding shift key) and recovery tools (holdinng Command (⌘)-R) are also not working.

Please help me to solve this issue. Your help will be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a boot disk by chance? You didn't mention which MacBook Pro you have but if it's an older one that came with Snow Leopard or earlier, you may still have your boot - install disk. If you have one, try booting with it and let us know what happens. The hard drive may have completely failed which is why safe or recovery mode won't work. It could also be a more serious failure.

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you have a boot disk by chance? You didn't mention which MacBook Pro you have but if it's an older one that came with Snow Leopard or earlier, you may still have your boot - install disk. If you have one, try booting with it and let us know what happens. The hard drive may have completely failed which is why safe or recovery mode won't work. It could also be a more serious failure.

Thanks for your reply. I think there is no boot disk. My MacBook Pro came with Lion OS and I got free upgradation to Mountain Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're in a tough spot because you can't even use the internet recovery option. I really don't know for sure if your hard drive is dead although it looks like it is. As I stated previously, it could also be something more serious. If your MacBook Pro is still covered by Apple care, take it on in and let them trouble shoot it. If your warranty has expired, you can try another hard drive. Do you have a backup of your data? And, did you make a bootable Mountain Lion flash drive?

OP
K
Reaction score
You're in a tough spot because you can't even use the internet recovery option. I really don't know for sure if your hard drive is dead although it looks like it is. As I stated previously, it could also be something more serious. If your MacBook Pro is still covered by Apple care, take it on in and let them trouble shoot it. If your warranty has expired, you can try another hard drive. Do you have a backup of your data? And, did you make a bootable Mountain Lion flash drive?

Warranty is not expired. I did boot using Ubuntu live CD. Its booting fine. I am able to see all my data. Even the data on bootcamp partition is available. But MAC is not booting. Can this still be a drive issue?
I have not created Mountain Lion flash drive. Though I don't have data backup, I can take it now using Ubuntu live!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The hard drive is probably OK if you can see your data and able to boot with an Ubuntu live CD. Have you tried a PRAM reset? Follow these directions: LINK Also try a SMC reset if that doesn't work: LINK

OP
K
Reaction score
The hard drive is probably OK if you can see your data and able to boot with an Ubuntu live CD. Have you tried a PRAM reset? Follow these directions: LINK Also try a SMC reset if that doesn't work: LINK

I tried both PRAM and SMC reset. Its still the same.
Can I try to format hard drive using Ubuntu CD and later try internet recovery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If its still under warranty then take it to apple

You can see the drive with Ubuntu, but it may be something as simple as a permissions error that is stopping OSX from loading drivers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.