• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hello,
I am a new member on here. I possess a MacBookPro 13" with a 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo processor and 4 G of ram. I just purchased Final Cut Express from Apple today. I was wondering what you guys (as in people who have used it) think of it? Is it user friendly? Is it easy to switch over from iMovie? I am curious. I have seem the Pro version (the new one, and the one made for PowerPC macs) and they seem to be confusing at first glance. Is Express easier to use because it is trimmed down? Are there anything important pointers I should have? I think 4 G of ram should be enough. Considering the MBP is more for movie editing than the MB . Anyway, if someone could get back to me on this, that would be wonderful.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new member on here. I possess a MacBookPro 13" with a 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo processor and 4 G of ram. I just purchased Final Cut Express from Apple today. I was wondering what you guys (as in people who have used it) think of it? Is it user friendly? Is it easy to switch over from iMovie? I am curious. I have seem the Pro version (the new one, and the one made for PowerPC macs) and they seem to be confusing at first glance. Is Express easier to use because it is trimmed down? Are there anything important pointers I should have? I think 4 G of ram should be enough. Considering the MBP is more for movie editing than the MB . Anyway, if someone could get back to me on this, that would be wonderful.

I just recently got into iMovie, and I find it works great but is limited. It is however a great gateway for FCE. I recently purchased FCE, and the learning curve is a bit daunting, perhaps I will stay with iMovie for a while. As for your hardware, I have both a MacPro, and an MacBook pro. The MacBook pro had 4g of RAM, while the MarPro has 8g. There is a marked difference in the performance, but for what I do they both work.

I don't know if this helps, but it's just my two cents . . .

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. It came in yesterday and I just installed it. It says min requirements is a 1.25 Ghz Processor and 1 G of RAM, so it should be fine. Im going to toy with it, I let you know what I think!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like it so far, but there is definitely a learning curve. I have been watching a couple videos on apple.com but they are only so much help. I hope I can figure this program out!

Reaction score
Greetings

I too have been daunted by the seemingly complex nature of the program and there don't seem to be many good books on the subject - I've tried a couple and they didn't help a lot.

Recently however, I've come across lynda.com which offers a training facility on all sorts of software including FCE4. So I've splashed out for a month's subscription $37.50 (approx £25.00) to give it a go.

At the time of writing I'm downloading the 2.6 Gig zip file of exercise material!

Wish me luck

Cheers Mitcherooney

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck dude. I am unwilling to shell out 38 bucks for a program I already paid 190 for. That near a fourth of the price, just to figure it out. I will do it the hard way. Apple.com , rewatching the videos again and again and again. Unless someone here knows of better videos on FCE4?

Reaction score
Good luck dude. I am unwilling to shell out 38 bucks for a program I already paid 190 for. That near a fourth of the price, just to figure it out. I will do it the hard way. Apple.com , rewatching the videos again and again and again. Unless someone here knows of better videos on FCE4?

I've been using lynda.com on and off for a couple of years. I pay $25 a month for their basic service. It's good for many applications. I used it for iMovie, and am now using it for Final Cut Express.

If I find I'm not using it as much as I should I just turn it off, then go back when I'm stumped about something.

Give it a try. Go to their site and browse some of the free movies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.