Flash Drive Issue

Reaction score
Hi Guys;
I reformatted my 16 gig flash drive with the iMac and loaded big files on it.
My problem is the mac won't pull them off. It tries and just quits.
I've read where macs don't like big files on a flash drive but that can't be right.
A buddy of mine works for a graphics firm and stores massive files on usb keys for transport.
I'm having problems with a 4gig file.

Any enlightenment would be great.
Drew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you format the flash drive as FAT-32? FAT-32 is limited to a file size of around 4GB.

Also- bad move on your part formatting the flash drive using your Mac. Disk Utility will actually create "two" partitions on the flash drive. The first will be hidden and created as 200 MB, the second will be the large one. A Mac will "see" the entire drive as 16 GB, however, when you plug it into a Windows machine it will only "see" the first 200 MB. It will not "see" nor use the second partition. That's because Windows considers a flash drive to be removable media and will only recognize removable media as having one partition. :(

Try it.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Did you format the flash drive as FAT-32? FAT-32 is limited to a file size of around 4GB.

Also- bad move on your part formatting the flash drive using your Mac. Disk Utility will actually create "two" partitions on the flash drive. The first will be hidden and created as 200 MB, the second will be the large one. A Mac will "see" the entire drive as 16 GB, however, when you plug it into a Windows machine it will only "see" the first 200 MB. It will not "see" nor use the second partition. That's because Windows considers a flash drive to be removable media and will only recognize removable media as having one partition. :(

Try it.

Regards.

I'm not sure how to format the 16gig flash drive from your post. If i format it as MAC EXTENDED (journaled) the PC won't recognize it at all. I formatted it as MS DOS FAT 32 so I could view it on both for now.
Is there a format that will let me do what I want?
Drew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure how to format the 16gig flash drive from your post. If i format it as MAC EXTENDED (journaled) the PC won't recognize it at all. I formatted it as MS DOS FAT 32 so I could view it on both for now.
Is there a format that will let me do what I want? Drew

The problem is that you already formatted it using Disk Utility and you can't really use Windows because it won't recognize the entire drive. That leaves Linux.

Try this: Download the free GParted utility from here and create the live CD. Boot your Windows machine with the live CD you just created and then reformat the 16 GB drive as FAT-32. GParted will correctly format the drive as one partition. That will allow you to use it both on the Mac and the PC.

For future reference: Never reformat a flash drive unless for some reason the drive appears defective and the last resort is formatting.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.