Playlist conversion

Reaction score
I have a new Mac Mini running OS X Mavericks. Does anybody know of a 3rd party Mac-compatible program that I can use to convert 50 playlists created on a Windows PC to be useable in iTunes?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What application did you use in Windows to create the playlists?

OP
P
Reaction score
What application did you use in Windows to create the playlists?

I used MediaMonkey to create all of my playlists, and they're in the M3U format. I also used DBpoweramp to convert all of my music files from WMA (Lossless and 320kbps, depending on whether it's an A-tune or a B-tune, respectively) to AIF files, and then transfered those over to my Mac via an external hard drive.

As an experiment, I created a short playlist using iTunes, and then opened up the playlist using TextEdit. I saw each tune's complete metadata along with its location. The Windows playlist gives the file's location only. What's up with that?

PP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know nothing at all about what constitutes a Windows playlist, but I'm fairly certain the playlists you created with MediaMonkey will not convert to readable playlists for iTunes. You'll probably need to do them over.

We purchase many inexpensive MP3 players to give away with our personal recordings on them. They all come with MediaMonkey which we remove and go directly instead to iTunes and do a drag and drop instead. As far as I'm aware, MediaMonkey playlists are not compatible with iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.