Virus on Windows Partition, unbootable..

Reaction score
Ok so here is my problem. I am running Windows XP Pro, and I got a virus. But this virus doesn't even let me access the desktop--it goes straight to the virus's ad page, disables ctralaltdelete and I cant access anything.

I would like to run some kind of antivirus, and I found a few that make bootable cd's, but I cant get the bootcamp os selector to pick them up, so I cant run them and fix the windows partition.

This has been frustrating to me, and I'm close to just giving up and reinstalling windows. Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Delete the partition assuming running on Bootcamp, make anew, install Windows and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Once you select to boot into windows or once your mac is booting into windows, hit F6 and this will give you the option to use safe mode. Try safe mode with networking to still connect and download some anti virus software.

This may not even work.

I would agree with above just delete the partition via bootcamp assistant and reinstall windows it will probably be quicker!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Once you select to boot into windows or once your mac is booting into windows, hit F6 and this will give you the option to use safe mode. Try safe mode with networking to still connect and download some anti virus software.
You need to hit F8 to get the options. ;)

I would give safe mode a try first. No need to wipe and reload if you can fix the problem first. Boot into safe mode and try running the AV from there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In addition to the recommendation of starting in Safe Mode, I would download and put Malwarebytes on a Flash drive. Boot into safe mode, install it from the flash drive and run a full scan. In my experience, Malwarebytes does a great job with these kinds of nasties.

Once you get the culprit removed, I would also second the recommendation of Microsoft's Security Essentials. Once you've gotten it to boot OK in normal mode, you should be able to install MSE, update the definitions and run a FULL scan with it to verify that all traces are removed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.