Powerbook G4 Soundcard Jack Issue

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 17" Powerbook G4, and the headphone jack is only in mono unless I set a large bolt or some weight against the plug to hold it lightly to make the connection correct. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts as to whether I can fix the jack, or if I should just get a new sound card.

Thank you!
Peter.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...or if I should just get a new sound card.

I don't have a solution for the jack issue...but what I did want to mention is that there is not a separate "sound card".

To "replace" the audio jack...you would have to replace the entire logic board (a bit more of an expensive part). Luckily (depending what model 17" Powerbook G4 you have) because of it's age...a replacement logic board is not nearly as expensive as it is for newer MacBooks & MacBook Pro's.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hmmm. I see sound cards for sale for 17" powerbooks, so are these falsely advertised, or am I missing something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can verify what Nick told you by going to iFixit: The free repair manual and looking at the breakdown for the 17" Powerbook. You'll see that there is no separate sound card. The sound (audio) chipset is integrated on to the logic board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. I see sound cards for sale for 17" powerbooks, so are these falsely advertised, or am I missing something?

I did a preliminary check from Powerbookmedic.com before I replied to your post. For most Apple laptop computers...two parts are available that are related to the ports:

- the logic board
- a DC-in board

To the best of my knowledge...there are no separate "sound cards" for Apple laptops.

But...since there are lots & lots & lots of different 17" Powerbook G4 models...we would need to know exactly what model you have before making a final determination.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Can you please post a couple links to these "sound cards"?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm. I'm very confused now. I went to ifixit, and did not readily find a breakdown of the G4, but did find the instructional procedures available for several models listed of 17" powerbooks, and both show instructions on how to replace the sound cards! So.....

Sorry man...my fault. I didn't realize the 17" Powerbook G4 models had a separate replaceable sound card! Usually Apple laptops only have the logic board & DC-in boards that have ports on them.

Man that's an expensive part at iFixit.com. If it helps...many of the sound boards for 17" Powerbook G4's are a lot less expensive at Powerbookmedic.com (I think that a used board for your laptop is about $14.95).:)

Sound Board 17" Powerbook G4 Aluminum - 922-5768 922-6062

Sorry again for the confusion. Hopefully the Powerbookmedic link helps!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like we both were wrong on that one Nick. I guess I got confused between the Powerbook and MacBook Pro 17" model where the audio chipset is integrated to the logic board. The ifixit instructions do show a separate sound card.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I understand! I just went to ebay and bought a new one for $8 incl shipping. Hopefully all will go well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, I understand! I just went to ebay and bought a new one for $8 incl shipping. Hopefully all will go well.

I think that you will be in GREAT shape! $8.00 bucks is certainly a small price to pay to fix things.:)

Hopefully you don't mind doing the DIY replacement work. The iFixit.com procedure I believe mentioned that it was a "difficult" procedure. It doesn't really look that bad to me. I've done MUCH worse. At least the logic board does not need to be removed!

Good luck,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like we both were wrong on that one Nick. I guess I got confused between the Powerbook and MacBook Pro 17" model where the audio chipset is integrated to the logic board. The ifixit instructions do show a separate sound card.

So many models...so many models...so many models...to keep all of the details straight sometimes!;) Especially 6+ years later after they have been discontinued...and we don't discuss Powerbook G4's nearly as often.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
No sweat. I've taken far too many things apart, and most of them have gone back together quite well and even worked!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.