Macbook Pro Charging issues

Reaction score
So recently i've been running into issues with my Macbook pro. i bought it about 3 years ago and this is the first time it has had its issues.

About august of 2010 my charger would not charge my computer so i bought a new one... problem fixed. now about 9 months later my NEW charger decides to stop working also. I thought this was weird seeing as i just bought this 9 months ago so instead of buying a new one i used my girlfriends... now hers is having difficulties charging mine and her macbook pro which never had issues before.

im wondering if anyone has had this issue before, ive googled and have yet to find someone with the same issue. Im not sure if i should just buy a new charger, or if my battery (which has needed to be replaced for a while now) is just drainging all the chargers to death, or if maybe my charger port is ruining these chargers...

if you have a solution i would appreciate it. my life is incomplete without my laptop and it would be nice to have it back :)

also id like to note that the charger has selective working. it seems the charger will work depending on how the cord is laying or at which angle it is plugged in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
also id like to note that the charger has selective working. it seems the charger will work depending on how the cord is laying or at which angle it is plugged in...

Well now that sounds like the cord is the problem. Does this happen when using any other cord?

OP
D
Reaction score
possibly... i havent used a new charger yet. im just confused as to why im going through all of these chargers. i shouldnt have to get 3 new chargers within 9 months.

could my battery be draining all of these chargers. or could it be the port?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Certainly an old and failing battery will need to be recharged more often but it's unlikely that it would ruin the MagSafe adapter charger. We're assuming here that you have a genuine Apple MagSafe Adapter charger not some third party knock off purchased from eBay.

There's also a possibility that the DC input board on your MBP could be the culprit but as lifeisabeach stated, it could also be a defective cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
possibly... i havent used a new charger yet. im just confused as to why im going through all of these chargers. i shouldnt have to get 3 new chargers within 9 months.

could my battery be draining all of these chargers. or could it be the port?

The chargers don't get "drained". You shouldn't be going through these so quickly, but as I stated already, it appears to be the cord, not the charger. By having better results when you adjust the angle it is laying, that suggests that the wire is damaged and losing connection unless held a certain way. And that can happen from poor handling, running a vacuum cleaner over it (*ahem* not that I would know… ), bending it to extremes for extended periods, and so on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.