iTunes sharing question

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm not having a lot of luck finding anything recent on here or on search engines in general so I thought I'd just pop in here and ask. I'm pretty much brand new to Macs but we just bought a new iMac since my wife is starting independent work (the 27", lower level of the two if it matters).

Anyhow, I finally went through and put my entire CD library on iTunes (over 520 albums). Only issue is, she can't see it through her iTunes library and we're not seeing anything that will allow her to see me. We thought we'd find a way, but it's still a no go. All music is currently under my username. Guessing we're missing something or is it way more involved than it should be? I'm not too familiar with Macs (hence the SN) so please make it as clear as possible.

Also, a couple of things we have that may make it "easier" (if there isn't just a preference setting) is we do have the Airport Extreme and a 1TB X-HD I'm backing the music up on. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Welcome to the forums!
I tested it and it should work if both user accounts are logged in.
In other words to access music on account #1 from #2, account #1 has to be logged in also.
You can switch to another account and leave the current one logged in by enabling Fast User Switching in System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options.
content

OP
M
Reaction score
OK...finally figured it out. Had to import the library but it's all up and going now. Thank you very much!

Reaction score
I'm confused. Does this mean we can share our music with other itunes users? I thought they were all user specific. I'm new to mac so just learning all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I'm confused. Does this mean we can share our music with other itunes users? I thought they were all user specific. I'm new to mac so just learning all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help!
The iTunes sharing option does allow you to share your iTunes music to people that are on the same network. All it does is make a music server from where others can listen to your music.
Other people can listen to your music as long as your computer is running, but they can't copy the music over to their computer.

I recommend that you buy the book "Snow Leopard - The Missing Manual". It has tonnes of useful stuff for beginners and even experienced users.

Reaction score
really?is it possible sharing my itune music to my friends?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.