How do I make Safari windows zoomed by default?

Reaction score
My comfortable size for Safari web page viewing is to hit the zoom button twice. I would love to have it be that size by default. Is there a setting for that? If so, please direct me to it.

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You should be able to resize a window and the size that you close it with should be how it opens next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...not only that, but new windows will open to the same size as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Unfortunately, neither of those "shoulds" are "is's" for me.

(a) If I open a Safari window, hit the zoom twice, close the window, go to History > Reopen last closed window, -- it opens at its original unzoomed size. :(((

(b) If I am in Safari and open a new window (command-N), it opens at the default size, which I would rather see zoomed up twice. :(((

I don't want to have to rezoom every Safari window, every time! So I am asking: Where can I set my Safari windows to open already having done two zooms as my default setting?

Thanks, anyone!

OP
M
Reaction score
To clarify: it is not the outer dimensions of the window I am asking about. It is the zoom function: the two capital A buttons at the top, and I like to click the larger one twice so that I don't have to wear glasses to see the page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
The solution for your problem is quite simple. First, create a document in TextEdit and insert this text:
Code:
body
{
	zoom: 140%;
}
Next, in TextEdit click Format > Make Plain Text, then save the file as zoom.css (the name's not really important, just be sure to include the .css extension).

Second, in Safari open the preferences and click the Advanced section. For Style sheet, choose Other… from the pop-up menu, then choose the file you made in TextEdit (either navigate to where you saved it or search for it).

And that's it. If you want, you can change the zoom percentage in the file you make (I used 140% because it's closest to clicking the zoom button twice—it goes to 144%, actually) to make the text larger or smaller. Enjoy. :)

(Oh, and in case you were curious about the confusion in the first responses you got, the green plus button at the top left of each window is also called the zoom button—unlike in Windows, where it's called Maximize.)

Credit to this post on the Apple support boards for the tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, neither of those "shoulds" are "is's" for me.
Mine was a will. ;) Try it. It will do what I said.

To clarify: it is not the outer dimensions of the window I am asking about. It is the zoom function: the two capital A buttons at the top,
Ah, you correctly surmised that you were misunderstood.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
To clarify: it is not the outer dimensions of the window I am asking about. It is the zoom function....

That is the Zoom function. Window > Zoom

Oh, you meant the other Zoom function....;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My comfortable size for Safari web page viewing is to hit the zoom button twice. I would love to have it be that size by default. Is there a setting for that? If so, please direct me to it.

Thanks!

I may have the solution you're looking for. I'm using Safari version 4.0.4...not sure what version you're using. But it may not make a difference.

Go to:

- the "Safari" drop-down menu
- choose "Safari Preferences"
- in the Safari Preferences window click on the "Advanced" tab
- hopefully there's a "Universal Access" section in the version of Safari you're using...and one of the "boxes" to select is..."Never use font sizes smaller then..."
- check or select this "box"
- next select a font size that works for you

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To clarify: it is not the outer dimensions of the window I am asking about. It is the zoom function..../QUOTE]

That is the Zoom function. Window > Zoom

Oh, you meant the other Zoom function....;)

Well, the "outer limits" er, dimensions is Window > Zoom

The size of the text is View > Zoom In (or Out)

Easily inadvertently interchangeable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.