wait for Lion or get the newly updated iMacs now?

Reaction score
So now that the newly updated iMacs are out with quad-core and updated graphic cards, would you just get one or would you actually wait until Lion is available? Apple's website says that Lion will be available in the summer. If I get the new iMac now, how much do you think Apple will charge to update Snow Leopard to Lion when it's released?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No pricing has been announced for Lion yet, but group wisdom and history seems to indicate that it'd be around $129 since Lion is indeed a full OS upgrade like going from 10.3->10.4->10.5..Snow Leopard, at $29, for a minor upgrade to Leopard..

If you want to buy the iMac now, no reason to wait..I, however, doubt that you'd get a discount to upgrade to Lion when it does release in the Summer..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So now that the newly updated iMacs are out with quad-core and updated graphic cards, would you just get one or would you actually wait until Lion is available? Apple's website says that Lion will be available in the summer. If I get the new iMac now, how much do you think Apple will charge to update Snow Leopard to Lion when it's released?

If you want or need a new iMac, I would buy it now. We really don't know for sure exactly when in the Summer Lion will be released nor what the price will be. There's a lot of speculation regarding the price....

But even if it sells for full price (around $129.00) it will be well worth it for the new features it offers. Of course if you don't need a new iMac right now, then it might be prudent to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
I'm actually kinda contemplating something similar. I'm planning on buying a new iMac next year around this time, so when Lion is released this summer, do I go ahead and get a copy for my current machine, or just wait until I get a new computer? Decisions, decisions.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do you need a new computer now?
Yes: Buy iMac now and get Lion when released
No: wait until you need a new computer.

Reaction score
Stretch is right!

But for me, I'll wait for Lion. Why you say? Well as you know Lion will support TRIM which is important for Solid State Drives (SSD). But wait! Apple supports TRIM on its current OS X. Yes it does, however you must buy Apple's SSD for it to work correctly. (Apparently Apple's SSD have TRIM built-in (firmware))

So my thought is to get Lion, tear apart the iMac with iFixit's help and put in a SSD I want. Fortunately I can wait to see if it's worth it. Also, I'm looking forward to benchmarks on Photoshop CS5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Reaction score
I'd say buy it now. I had to make the same decision last week about buying a macbook pro for my girlfriend, in the end I decided that it doesn't make sense to keep waiting for the next new thing, I'll just upgrade when its released. Just buy it now and begin enjoying the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
however you must buy Apple's SSD for it to work correctly. (Apparently Apple's SSD have TRIM built-in (firmware))

Apple does not produce SSDs. Some other company makes the SSDs for them, most likely Intel. This means you will be able to purchase an SSD separately from Apple, and most likely for a significant discount compared to Apple's ridiculous markup on hard drives and memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple does not produce SSDs. Some other company makes the SSDs for them, most likely Intel. This means you will be able to purchase an SSD separately from Apple, and most likely for a significant discount compared to Apple's ridiculous markup on hard drives and memory.

Very true, but replacing or adding a drive to an iMac is not an easy task.

Reaction score
Very true, but replacing or adding a drive to an iMac is not an easy task.

I too and now ready to buy a new iMac, and I was also thinking about getting an SSD to run Adobe and my editing software on top of a regular HD. Ive been pricing them out and all I really need is a 64gb SSD, but Apple is only offering the 256gb for and extra $500. Anyone know how difficult it would be to install an SSD? I have already changed out my HD on my old Powerbook G4 and also an old PC so I know computer basics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've taken apart a G4 iBook, G4 Powerbook, G5 iSight iMac, G4 style Mini, and Alum 24in iMac. The iMacs were by far the hardest to take apart. With the Alum iMacs, you have to take off the glass front, without cracking/breaking/chipping. Once the glass is off, you have to get the screen off. Which involves numerous hard to reach screws. Once the LCD is "free" you have to lift it off far enough to reach under and disconnect the display cable.

Once the screen is off, its pretty much easy going until you have to put everything back together. Then you have to deal with the heavy screen and getting it back into place and screwing in the hard to reach screws. All while keeping dust off the screen and back of the glass.

It doesn't sound that hard reading it/typing it out but the screws that are holding the LCD in are hard to reach and if you drop one underneath the screen you have to take it back out. And the screen, especially the 27in model is heavy. Very awkward to hold it and disconnect the display cable.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I posted this probably a month or so ago in a similarly themed thread but since I haven't been able to contribute much this week (partly due to drowning in work but mostly because by the time I get in here, everyone else has already answered most of the threads :) ) I may as well throw my $0.02 in here.

I don't see any real logic in gating a hardware purchase based on the availability of an OS. If you're in the market for a new computer - then buy that new computer and do so close to the time of HW upgrade - at least you'll have the latest and greatest for a few months. :) Don't forget, Lion is likely to have bugs when released - there's a fantastic and stable OS available now. I'm considering running Lion on a separate partition or drive while I get used to it and while it stabilizes.

But let's say you do wait - and Lion comes out in the fall. There's a good chance you'll be right back here wondering if you should wait until the next HW refresh materializes and pretty soon...you may find yourself paralyzed by an endless do-loop. I'd imagine that by late summer or early fall - all the buzz will be about the "complete redesign" of the next MBP. I personally would never gauge a purchasing decision on an OS release - but that's just me. Hardware refresh - yes. Software - no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I decided in January that I'd wait to buy until it came with Lion installed on it. Nothing hurt, and I got lucky enough that Apple did a great hardware refresh. I'd say hold off unless you currently have no other machine to use right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I decided in January that I'd wait to buy until it came with Lion installed on it. Nothing hurt, and I got lucky enough that Apple did a great hardware refresh. I'd say hold off unless you currently have no other machine to use right now.

Won't be any more hardware upgrades to iMacs or MBPs before Lion comes out. If you need one now, get it now. If you want one now, get it now.
Logically, if you're even asking about it right now then you probably want a Mac so just get a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.