Gmail no pushing to Ipad/iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.9Ghz i5 8GB RAM/Iphone 5/Ipad 1
Hello folks...I'm wondering if anyone else is having the above problem? I'm assuming if Gmail push had stopped working I would hear/see about it everywhere, but I"m not.

For about 2 weeks or more now, my ipad Mail app isn't pushing my Gmail properly at all...in fact even when i open it, it's getting inbox emails way late.

My Iphone 3G is not pushing properly either, although it gets it when I open the Mail app.

Gmail push has always worked perfectly on both my ios devices...and I've tried completely deleting the accounts and reinstalling them, and nothing. Was there an update in the 4.3.2 ios for ipad that did something?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I noticed a change in my settings for emails with the 4.3.2 update. The opposite of your experience, but leads me to believe it is the culprit. Have you gone into Settings and adjusted appropriately?
Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Push (On/Off)... Then set to how often to push to your iPad/iPhone. And also go into the Advanced menu while in there to make sure Gmail is set to "Fetch".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
The iPhone doesn't have a true push system like the blackberry. However, if you setup your gmail account as an exchange, you can get push. Other wise you are using a pull method. In my opinion, if you are a heavy email user, the iPhone will NEVER do what you want it to do. I currently own an iPhone 4, and if I wasnt in front of my computer all day, I would own a blackberry.

edit, setting up the gmail account as an exchange, and pushing the data, will have a HUGE effect on battery life. I can go two days on a single charge, with the exchange account I get about 1/2 a day usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The iPhone doesn't have a true push system like the blackberry. However, if you setup your gmail account as an exchange, you can get push. Other wise you are using a pull method. In my opinion, if you are a heavy email user, the iPhone will NEVER do what you want it to do. I currently own an iPhone 4, and if I wasnt in front of my computer all day, I would own a blackberry.

edit, setting up the gmail account as an exchange, and pushing the data, will have a HUGE effect on battery life. I can go two days on a single charge, with the exchange account I get about 1/2 a day usage.

Actually, Push for Gmail on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad works exactly as it should. You can set the frequency for the Gmail server to push to the iOS device. It will do exactly as the OP wants. As emails come in, they are sent to the iOS device and a notification alert is sounded (if you have that option turned on). There is nothing lacking or wanting with the way iOS handles that and a BB or Android or WebOS phone will not do any better (or any worse, I'd imagine).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Actually, Push for Gmail on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad works exactly as it should. You can set the frequency for the Gmail server to push to the iOS device. It will do exactly as the OP wants. As emails come in, they are sent to the iOS device and a notification alert is sounded (if you have that option turned on). There is nothing lacking or wanting with the way iOS handles that and a BB or Android or WebOS phone will not do any better (or any worse, I'd imagine).

This statement right here is exactly what the difference is. A true PUSH, like a blackberry uses, alerts your device the second a new email is received. Having your device ping the server for new information, is a PULL. This style of PUSH is a RIM patient so it will most likely never be found in another device.

OP
huff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.9Ghz i5 8GB RAM/Iphone 5/Ipad 1
I noticed a change in my settings for emails with the 4.3.2 update. The opposite of your experience, but leads me to believe it is the culprit. Have you gone into Settings and adjusted appropriately?
Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Push (On/Off)... Then set to how often to push to your iPad/iPhone. And also go into the Advanced menu while in there to make sure Gmail is set to "Fetch".

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed done these things, and I've gone even further and (twice) tried to completely delete my gmail account off my devices and put it back on. Have no idea what's going on because again, this always worked perfect before. Hmmmph.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.