iPad speakers vs. iMac speakers

Reaction score
If someone else has an iMac and an iPad and could give me an appraisal of the music sound qualities of the two, compared, it would help me judge a potential iPad purchase. It would seem bizarre to have to use an external speaker with the iPad, so I hope I need not do that. Though I see some apparently doing it with Bluetooth, etc.

The iMac speakers are quite good, even in an adjacent room. It bothers me not a bit that the iPad has speakers side by side. I never fell for the "stereo" scam that hit the lagging electronic sales market about 1958.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
If someone else has an iMac and an iPad and could give me an appraisal of the music sound qualities of the two, compared, it would help me judge a potential iPad purchase. It would seem bizarre to have to use an external speaker with the iPad, so I hope I need not do that. Though I see some apparently doing it with Bluetooth, etc.

The iMac speakers are quite good, even in an adjacent room. It bothers me not a bit that the iPad has speakers side by side. I never fell for the "stereo" scam that hit the lagging electronic sales market about 1958.:D

I have last year's MBP 13". I find the speaker sound quality excellent. In my opinion, the iPad's speaker (s) does not have great depth to it sound quality wise or loudness wise either. It sounds much better with a decent pair of earbuds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The iPad's speakers are nowhere near as loud or as crisp as the iMac's. This makes sense given the size of both and their intended use. The iMac is a full desktop and thus requires volume levels that we're used to on a desktop (i.e. loud). The iPad is not a desktop or laptop replacement, it's more like a giant iPod touch, where the speakers are only for use in close proximity, such as when you want to share a video with someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Kash is right. Bear in mind also that the iMac has stereo speakers, whereas I am fairly sure the speaker on the iPad is only mono.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...it's more like a giant iPod touch...

Don't say that Kash!!!:eek:

There are folks out there that will want to scratch your eye's out, and curse you with their dying breath that it's NOT a giant iPod Touch!;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
it's more like a giant iPod touch

I can see someone didn't get the 3G. That's most unfortunate.

There are folks out there that will want to scratch your eye's out, and curse you with their dying breath that it's NOT a giant iPod Touch!;);)

- Nick

Go get 'em Nick! ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see someone didn't get the 3G. That's most unfortunate.

There is certainly some truth to this. The iPad 3G is definitely more capable that the iPod Touch. I think many of the "iPad is just a Giant iPod Touch" statements were mostly being made before the 3G iPad was available.

Now the 3G iPad is just a "Giant iPod Touch with 3G"...but then couldn't that almost make the iPad 3G a "Giant iPhone"...Hummm?;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have the iPad 3G and it's definitely a giant iPod touch, and that's exactly why I like it.

It's not a giant iPhone just because it has a 3G data connection because it's still missing cameras and cellular voice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a giant iPhone just because it has a 3G data connection because it's still missing cameras and cellular voice.

Yeah...it doesn't have the camera...I was thinking you might be able to use Skype or something to use the iPad as a phone.

Just kidding though about the "giant iPhone"....the iPad is a giant iPod Touch...and that's the way & why I like it as well!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
Pages and Numbers work great on my iPad. Haven't tried them with my Touch yet. ;D

Besides those aps, the aps I use need connectivity and being teathered to a WiFi connection is not that functional to me.

The iPad is a great platfrom for me to manage my stock accounts. The Bloomberg ap is great. I can do a quick glance at it to see if I am in the red or in the green before deciding to log into a trading ap.

Personally, I don't need the camera. (Kinda irked my cell phone has one (Alias 2).)

I do have a Google Voice account... hmm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad

- Nick
So you're saying that the iPod Touch is a miniature iPad???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.