Need help with simple network!

Reaction score
I need some help setting up a very simple, temporary network, if it is at all possible.

What I want to do is provide a temporary internet connection to my desktop PC through my iBook. The iBook recieves wireless internet from our neighbors that we share internet with. Unfortunately, my desktop does not have a wireless reciever so it does not have internet access. I need to do some updating and registering/activating of some critical softare on the desktop and need internet access to do so.

So, is there anyway to provide internet access to my desktop PC through the iBook, which recieves its internet access through wireless signals via Airport?

I do have a router that I could use to connect the desktop and the iBook if that helps. Also, if there is some compatability issue, I could also use my girlfriend's laptop (PC), which recieves wireless internet signals as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well you could Connect an Ethernet Cable form your iBook to your PC, although this would rewduce your speeds and require your iBook to be on to access the Internet from your your Desktop PC

Or you could always pick up a cheap Wireless PCI Card or USB Adapter.

Also I hope your ISP knows that you're sharing one internet connection between two houses :p

OP
A
Reaction score
Well you could Connect an Ethernet Cable form your iBook to your PC, although this would rewduce your speeds and require your iBook to be on to access the Internet from your your Desktop PC

Or you could always pick up a cheap Wireless PCI Card or USB Adapter.

Also I hope your ISP knows that you're sharing one internet connection between two houses :p

What would they care? You purchase the bandwith.

I tried doing just the ethernet thing and it didn't work. Under Local Area Connection Status in this Windows junk, the packets sent goes up, but the packets recieved is always at 0. It always says acquiring network address as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
open system preferences
click sharing
click internet
share from your airport
to computers using ethernet & firewire
turn on internet sharing

plug two computers together with ethernet cable and you should be set. if it doesnt work it needs a little more tweaking, just let us know
-chris

OP
A
Reaction score
open system preferences
click sharing
click internet
share from your airport
to computers using ethernet & firewire
turn on internet sharing

plug two computers together with ethernet cable and you should be set. if it doesnt work it needs a little more tweaking, just let us know
-chris

Thank you, thank you, thank you. God, I love the simplicity of Macs. That did the trick, except that I also had to turn on Personal Internet Sharing or something under Services (it told me to).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.