Wireless N speed issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have a Time Capsule (the original model) that I use as the wireless router for my home. I currently have two 500 GB externals connected to it. The network is set to Wireless N only at 5 GHz. When I transfer files from the network HD to MBP I get transfer speeds of 2 to 5.3 MB/s. I Have a separate wireless network for my iphone that is set at Wireless G. Transfer speeds from that network are pretty consistent at 3 MB/s. I feel like the difference in transfer speed from G to N should be much bigger than that, especially when my N transfer speed occasionally drops below the G speeds. I called apple a few times, but they refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Seems that there is a issue that accompanies the latest upgrade to apples airport if you are using 5GHz 11n. When the next upgrade arrives i will change from my 7.3.2 and miss the 7.4.1. While i cannot point you to it, apparently Apple have acknowledged the issue. If you have done the upgrade you might want to give the 11g/11n setting a shot on 2.4GHz see if that is better.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
switched to 802.11n (2.4 GHz) and the speeds I'm seeing are slower than 802.11g. This just isn't making any sense to me...

Reaction score
I think I have more or less the same transfer rates with the N @ 5Ghz. I think (fear) that it is normal.

Tex

Reaction score
Yes I think the problem with wireless N, is the advertised top speed is usually if you are next to your router transferring data within your network, versus using the internet for say gaming. Comparitively the transfer of mbps should be high (correct me if i am wrong).

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I think the problem with wireless N, is the advertised top speed is usually if you are next to your router transferring data within your network, versus using the internet for say gaming. Comparitively the transfer of mbps should be high (correct me if i am wrong).

But thats what I'm doing, transferring files within my network. And I am pretty close to the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.