did someone hack my network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" laptop 2009, 2.26GHZ intel core 2 duo, 4GB ram, iphone 4gs 64GB
Last night while on my mac I noticed under (shared) with icon that looked like a pc someone's name...I have my network secured...how come I saw this? I never saw this before and I don't even share files with my other pc's...and by the way I have a neighbor with the name that was used..it said Keith's-pc....what should I do?
thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No you are not hacked, it looks like your neighbor though is pretty lax with their security and your Mac is picking up the network broadcast of their name. You might want to tell them the next time you meet that they should look into better securing their own network..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's also possible that they've gained access to your network. What kind of encryption are you using? I ask because computers generally show up in the sidebar when computers are on the same network.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" laptop 2009, 2.26GHZ intel core 2 duo, 4GB ram, iphone 4gs 64GB
I think its the wpa ? I'm not sure I will check when I get home...wouldn't he have to guess my password? I thought it was a hard one but I guess I will change it...can you tell me how to access the network? do I need to go online to that company? I'm very green at this..thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
WPA encryption is difficult to crack. It's more likely your neighbor is careless with his WiFi in that he's broadcasting in the clear. (You're picking up his network.) You might want to be a "good neighbor" and kindly remind him or even show him how to secure his network.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it is indeed WPA, you're probably fine (as noted by chscag). A simple way to know if the issue is an unsecured network on their part is to see if there is a lock icon next to their wireless network name (if you happen to know it - sometimes it's pretty obvious).

Reaction score
Are you sure Keith - pc was sharing your NW? Doesn't sound right. Was it showing under available NWs by any chance?

But to secure your wifi server go to the maunf's website and go to help and download or copy of the tutorial for setting up your device. Follow their explicit instructions. I have a Linksys and this is what I did.

To access your wifi device, type in your browser address bar 192.168.1.1
This give you access to your device. If you are blocked from doing that and someone else set a new passcode (happened to m) reset the device, by pushing the tiny button on the back and start over again.

I was able to triple protect my wifi server. I changed my security to the best one, WPA-2, changed my Linksys address to .300.1 at the end and set a password. No more hackers on my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
... changed my Linksys address to .300.1 at the end ........

Are you talking about your IP address ?
If yes, then I have my doubts about this. ......

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
ok, the secret is out now and i have to change it. lol. I use 192.168.30.1, which is valid and throws off my zealous wifi-stealing neighbour.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Changing your internal IP doesn't do much to protect you since it can be discovered what IP you're using quite easily. You need to find a better method of securing your network. If you can't, you need to talk to your neighbour.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
An IP address is handed out by a WiFi access point AFTER you have successfully authenticated to it. So, if you are using WPA-2 or similar for security, your WiFi-stealing neighbors have to first crack your password and get into the network at which point they would get an IP address in whatever range you happen to be using. Next, the .1 is usually reserved for the access point acting as your gateway and they'd have to crack your local router password to get on there..

Setting your IP address to some random range doesn't do anything..

And BTW, most routers use the 192.168.xxx.xxx class C range, but you could just as easily use the 172.16.xxx.xxx or something..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.