File Manager - New Mac User

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sorry to be so ignorant, but I am fairly new to the Mac World. Most everything I have dealt with is so user friendly and very easy to pick up on. I am having one issue, though, that my PC trained mind cant' get past.

I have a dll file that I need to replace in an application, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. In windows, I would just go to windows explorer, find the folder that contains the file I need to replace and paste the new file in. It would, of course, ask if I want to overwrite the file, but the process is as simple as can be. On my MacBook, running Leopard, the program with the faulty dll file is listed as an application and I can't find a way to locate any files in the program. I find the program in finder, but it is listed as an app and not a folder, so I can only run the program. I tried dragging and dropping the correct dll file into the application, but the dll file just moves into the application folder.

I have run across this a couple of times, but how do I solve this issue and how do I see the individual files of an application? Thanks so much for your patience and assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
control click on the application in finder, then click on show package contents.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance, but I tried that and only 4 files showed up, none of which were either a dll or exe file. The program works fine, except for having to replace the dll file, so it's not as if it was installed incorrectly. I can't believe I'm saying that I miss a windows option, but windows explorer would be really good right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
crimedogg,

Mac doesn't handle apps and its files the same way Windows does. The app folder is all there is, all the files are in there, and to my knowledge Mac has no .dll files, that's a Windows thing...

If it's a Windows application maybe in Parallels or Boot Camp, you would use Windows Explorer and put the .dll file in the app folder there, or more likely, re-install the app so the .dll file goes where it needs to go.

Double click the app in question, see if it runs. If it does, all is well. If it doesn't, just re-install it using the original .dmg package.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There are DLL files in my CS3 install ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are DLL files in my CS3 install ;)

In the Mac version? If that's true, I've learned something new. I don't see how a Unix file system can utilize a Dynamic Link Library file?

Anyway, the OP was speaking about looking for a DLL and EXE file, clearly Windows only.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 24" iMac - OS X 10.5.6 and 1 17"Macbook Pro same OS
.dll files and OS X or whatever.....

Do a spotlight on .dll and see what pulls up... a lot of stuff but no .dll...

Thank God! :)

Reaction score
.dll short for Dynamic Link library is only for windows Dynamic-link library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If your trying to crack a software. Your maybe in the wrong window. What are you trying to install if I may ask? can you tell us the extension of the file? is it a .dmg?.exe?.app?Mac can only run .app so for windows its .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.