Slow Mac

Reaction score
Hi there,

My apple G5 desktop is slowing so i think it is in need of a spring clean. Im thinking of wiping the entire hardrive but not too sure how to go about this?

Or any other suggestions how I can improve performance and the steps needed?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Download the latest version of "onyx" for your system. And preform all the spring cleaning modules there. It should help. Just be careful. And make sure you know what your doing with the app and you'll be fine.

This might fix your problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Download the latest version of "onyx" for your system. And preform all the spring cleaning modules there. It should help.
Yes, I second this. The 'cleaning' method of wiping a drive and reinstalling the OS is a Windows thing and not necessary on a Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, will give it a blast, hopefully that will improve speed and performance. Anything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
I suppose I could include the obvious idea of upgrading the RAM? I'm a recent PC switcher myself, so I'm not too sure the options available. I think the G5 is a tower model though rite? So upgrading should be simple enough...if you haven't already that is.

I would recommend crucial for your memory, from personal experience.

Hope this helps a little.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.