• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why is Apple so slow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
Ok so I am a computer science student and I love building computers ( Linux ) and I love Apple. I also like to build high performance machines for overclocking. I am a Mac fanatic though and Apple is my main choice for everything. Though, I hate how Apple is so slow at updating the Macs. I understand the whole market thing about each product having enough time on the market. Near everywhere has got core i3 / i5 and i7 available for laptops, blu ray drives, higher end GPU's and other features. Yet as Apple users, we do not have any of the real tech candy. Look at the Mac Pro. A serious workstation that comes with only a Radeon 4870 512mb card?. I love Mac's but this does kindda really bug me.

Just wondering if it bugs anybody else?.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Not really. Firstly you have no idea what Apple has just round the corner. And secondly PC computer makers only have the latest hardware to get sales cause they don't make the OS. So they have to be cutting edge or they lose sales. But Apple has OS X as well as it's hardware. And they'd rather take the tiem to get their hardware and software integrated properly so they just work. And this just working is what Apple is famous for.

And also for what 95% of what home users do with their computers, what Apple is selling now will be good for 5years +. So there's no worry really. Only if you want cutting edge hardware, best you build your own PC and update it's parts with new ones the second they come out on the market.

But if you want a cutting edge OS that is stable just works and is pretty to look at you can't go past OS X. It really is the best OS on the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Who really needs i7 chips in their computer, let alone notebook? They will probably come out eventually, though.
Apple already has i5, i7 desktops and octo-core processors.

As for your Mac Pro thing, they can get 4x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB... And 8 cores.....

Once (if) blu-ray replaces the DVD, Apple will surely have a blu-ray drive in their computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
It's the same kinda argument that says: 454cc V8s exist, so it sucks that every car maker doesn't put them in every car because they make it go fast, VROOM!!

hehe

Fast fast fast isn't the absolute everything to everybody. The Radeon that comes stock in the Mac Pro, can it play videos? Yeah. Can it drive the giant screens? Yeah. Can it fill those screens with video? Yeah.

Then it's good enough. Anything more becomes a very expensive space heater as the silicon sits there and heats up to do three things.

Zero
Zilch
Nada

Sure, Apple could be constantly putting out new hardware, constantly revising what goes into any particular model, but then their boxes would become just as flaky and poor-quality as any old crap consumer box you find at Best Buy.

Remember: There's a lot more to quality than just MHz.

Reaction score
Not really. Firstly you have no idea what Apple has just round the corner. And secondly PC computer makers only have the latest hardware to get sales cause they don't make the OS. So they have to be cutting edge or they lose sales. But Apple has OS X as well as it's hardware. And they'd rather take the tiem to get their hardware and software integrated properly so they just work. And this just working is what Apple is famous for.

And also for what 95% of what home users do with their computers, what Apple is selling now will be good for 5years +. So there's no worry really. Only if you want cutting edge hardware, best you build your own PC and update it's parts with new ones the second they come out on the market.

But if you want a cutting edge OS that is stable just works and is pretty to look at you can't go past OS X. It really is the best OS on the market.

OOO, whats this about (I hope theres an iMac with the latest/best ATI Radeon HD (is the 5970 good, performance, speed and longevity)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It's the same kinda argument that says: 454cc V8s exist, so it sucks that every car maker doesn't put them in every car because they make it go fast, VROOM!!

hehe

Fast fast fast isn't the absolute everything to everybody. The Radeon that comes stock in the Mac Pro, can it play videos? Yeah. Can it drive the giant screens? Yeah. Can it fill those screens with video? Yeah.

Then it's good enough. Anything more becomes a very expensive space heater as the silicon sits there and heats up to do three things.

Zero
Zilch
Nada

Sure, Apple could be constantly putting out new hardware, constantly revising what goes into any particular model, but then their boxes would become just as flaky and poor-quality as any old crap consumer box you find at Best Buy.

Hey, I work at best buy... and some of those towers, yea, they're consumer crap, but they're pretty ridiculous. We've got a couple HPs with the X4 and 8 gigs of RAM, huge fsbs, etc.

That said, every day I am so glad when I come home to my Mac.

Reaction score
Not sure what you guys mean by consumer crap, but as far as I'm aware, they charge quite a bit for those towers at BB (whether they are crap or not)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
679 for an HP with 8gigs of DDR3, X4 processor, and 1TB hard disk. By consumer crap we mean prebuilt non custom boxes, at least that's what I mean. Still though, that hardware is pretty good. It's still running windows, but what can ya do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I work at best buy... and some of those towers, yea, they're consumer crap, but they're pretty ridiculous. We've got a couple HPs with the X4 and 8 gigs of RAM, huge fsbs, etc.

That said, every day I am so glad when I come home to my Mac.

This is true, but once more there's that whole issue of numbers vs. real quality. Not all Windows PCs are junk, just like not all Macs are good (Radeon G3 iBook anybody?) It's just the fact that PC makers don't say, "This is our computer. It has these things. There's an entry-price version, a mid-range one, and a high end one."

Instead, they build 35 disparate models, none of them sharing anything in common aside from Windows 7, and the crapware they install to negate the positive effects of the computer's speed. Some have Intel chips, some have AMD because... well... I don't know why. Some will come with a DVD burner, some might come with a DVD burner and a Blue Ray player. Whatever. There's no rhyme or reason to how they figure out their lineups.

They just throw some stuff in a box and sell it. Some machines just have good quality stuff thrown inside, but an Alienware is designed the very same way as an eMachines. Take board x from supplier y, put in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is all true.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh defo, there sure are some good PC's. I built my PC and have over $2.5k invested into it. Though the hardware is good, it is held back by the Vista Ultimate 64bit that is on there. I have Linux on that system and it is used mainly for programming.

I rather wish that I had diverted that money into a Mac Pro or something. After having spent a good time working in a PC technician store, I have had had enough of windows to last a lifetime.

Though as for PC's in BB. I personally think most of them look like cheap ugly computers. I love the sleek and polished look of Apple products. Just a personal opinion. Even before i was into Apple, I thought the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Look at the Mac Pro. A serious workstation that comes with only a Radeon 4870 512mb card?. I love Mac's but this does kindda really bug me.

I agree the GT120 and 4870 cards offered with the Mac Pro are pretty poor, however for many applications these cards are more than enough.

For example: financial analysts don't need anything more than great 2D performance (GT120), photographers or graphic designers don't need silly fast 3D cards but need faster VRAM (4870) and finally 3D modellers / CAD users don't have any option but using a Quadro card anyway for OpenGL (optional extra) although most of these people use Windows or Linux at the moment.

The Mac Pro is not a gaming machine, no Mac is any good for that, its a serious workhorse designed to allow you meet deadlines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The spec war of late reminds me of the horsepower wars in the auto industry we were
all doing fine with what we had until the new product hit the scene.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Build a custom box if you really want the latest tech candy. Not entry-level consumer products.

I must ask, why do you need Blu-Ray on your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

hehe

Zero
Zilch
Nada

I find this to be a poor comparison as computer hardware continues to progress as far as performance go where even the base model prebuilt has 10x's the performance as computers 10 years ago. I don't see Mazda 3's leaving the show room with 750whp.

I agree the GT120 and 4870 cards offered with the Mac Pro are pretty poor, however for many applications these cards are more than enough.

For example: financial analysts don't need anything more than great 2D performance (GT120), photographers or graphic designers don't need silly fast 3D cards but need faster VRAM (4870) and finally 3D modellers / CAD users don't have any option but using a Quadro card anyway for OpenGL (optional extra) although most of these people use Windows or Linux at the moment.

The Mac Pro is not a gaming machine, no Mac is any good for that, its a serious workhorse designed to allow you meet deadlines.

But what about when video cards = processing power.

What is CUDA?

It's going to make those iMac people really wish they could upgrade video cards when even the slowest Wintel boxes have several cheaper cards that just totally blow away the performance of anything that Apple produces because the video cards are 2 years old and non user upgradable.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CUDA is sweet. I have been watching those since Nvidia first started showing them. The PhysX is also **** nice card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
Dude you need to calm down. Give apple some time, they actually make good products and dont release new versions of products every 2 months. Give them some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I don't know what the problem is. The MBP line is still top of the line as far as professional grade computers go. The software for protools hasn't been made available in Windows to run on 4 cores. A fast Core 2 Duo is still a pretty relevant chip. Plus, in the mainstream consumer PC business, the i7 laptops just hit the shelves this October. The core i3, and mobile core i5s (which aren't even quad core) just started to hit the shelves in February as businesses sold out their previous stock of Core 2 Duo machines. Sadly, a ton of them still run dual core pentium chips in them! AHH! That's what most people buy. Apple will refresh the MBPs in a month or 2, and all will be well. Don't worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does kinda go along with something I mentioned in another thread: It's not like that Core 2 Duo is going to suddenly be incapable of running code, or automagically become slow and decrepit just because Intel put out some new silicon ;)

Reaction score
Apple has been DDR3 for quite some time now- I'm just NOW seeing DDR3 making its way over to custom PC builds- never mind the likes of HP and Dell or eMachines Inc. though they probably are also slowly implementing it. I would love to see GDDR3 graphics cards on a lower end Mac, but that is my wish list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.