• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have read Vansmith's review and noted the following 18 posts with interest. I had bought Mackeeper in good faith that MacWorld favoured it and it was kosher. I was nervous about the rising tide of hackers even against Macs.
I installed MacKeeper and then was advised by a member of staff in an Apple store that it was not recommended by Apple and I should take it off as it cluttered the operation of my iMac! Microsoft Security Essentials was free for my Parallels on the same iMac which Apple also recommended should be deleted! If I translate my payment of $41.94 at today's rate it cost me $63! Has anyone heard if downloads are refunded?!

Hate to say it, but I don't think ZeoBit has any kind of return policy. To be frank - if they did, they probably wouldn't be in business today.

That said, there's nothing wrong with Parallels, or Microsoft's Security Essentials. MSE is not the most robust AV suite on the market, but for the price (free), it's serviceable. If you need an AV suite that behaves as a nanny, because you don't trust yourself to practice safe computing, then look elsewhere. Parallels is a great solution for running Windows on your Mac and will not clutter it up in any appreciable way - in fact, it's probably the most efficient way to run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Impressive, it's great trying to spread the word to unsuspecting Mac users that it should not be purchased, and most importantly, WHY, based on real tests and analysis. Nice work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M395X
Great post!

You did a fine job of reviewing Mac Keeper, thanks! I have one and only one issue with your piece, and that is your separation of marketing from performance.

For me, ZeoBit's marketing practices are akin to a snake-oil salesman, selling a useless product using fear and hype. It speaks loudly to trust. While the snake oil may not be harmful, how can one ever trust it to be so? I can not separate the two, for me how something is presented speaks volumes about it's performance.

I have been blasted by MacKeeper ads. Not small tabs like you see from Facebook or other social media sites, but full-screen new browser windows claiming my Mac is in mortal peril. These sorts of intrusive and dishonest attacks make me totally distrust the company and everything it touches. If they are dishonest in their advertising, why would I expect them to be honest with their software?

I also found your description of the un-install process to be a bit troubling. Not much in the trash? Why? What did this software leave behind? How did it communicate the reason for the un-install to Zeobit after you dragged the app to the trash? You mentioned you had never seen that before; I find that very troubling in itself.

Again, thanks for the blog post. It confirmed to me what I have come to believe after doing a cursory online investigation of MacKeeper. Useless snake oil, which may be harmful in the long run -- something useless to avoid.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Great and impartial review, my primary complaint has already been aired and that is in regard to the invasive and powerful advertising campaign which invades so many reputable pages I visit. If this app were half as good as it claims to be this no doubt costly advertising would be unnecessary. It has been my experience that as a community we Mac users are very good at reviewing and promoting apps that do what they claim, are reasonable value and easy to use.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Nice write up Van. Only one question, did you happen to test any network activity coming from MacKeepers or associated files? Very curious if it reports any statistical user information back to the company.

- Joe

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No I didn't but as I mentioned, I don't actually think the app is pernicious or shady (it just duplicates functionality and charges for it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Reaction score
................ I don't actually think the app is pernicious or shady (it just duplicates functionality and charges for it).

good statement.

Please remember folks, that the attitudes displayed here (those who are all too happy to go jump on the witch-hunt bandwagon against this application) are the very reason there are not MORE Mac Apps.

Mackeeper is simply a piece of software which does certain things.. There are comparable packages which you can get for free and do the same for less (or free). BUT those other packages may (or may not) have a nice easy-to-use interface....

BUT, the folks who wrote that MacKeeper already know that MOST Mac people are gullible and have more money than good sense.. So why shouldn't they create an app which capitalises on that? Face it, you didn't buy your Mac because it's the cheapest thing on the market. So what if you buy a $40 app when you could've done the same for free?

Does it make them somehow evil for offering an app for sale? Let the market decide for itself, rather than participating in this fishbowl mentality driven by keyboard ninjas, whereby the "collective" has decided they're evil. That mindset holds about as much scientific intelligence as the theory of man-made global warming, it is stupidity in motion. Do NOT be driven by hype or opinion - please consider the actual facts before you form conclusions.

Would I buy MacKeeper??? no. But I also happen to write terminal scripts by the hour, so I've already got a half-dozen concoctions to keep my Mac clean, fast, and relatively like-new..

Would I accept the word of a Mac "Genius" who tells me "Apple doesn't recommend it, so you should remove it"??? **** no. Based on my own real-world experience with Apple "geniuses", i wouldn't trust them to the proper use of toilet paper. And I mean that sincerely. They are there to sell you new Macs, NOT to help you fix your old Mac. never forget that. The Apple store staff are HIGHLY trained salesmen.

Why are MacKeeper ads "everywhere"??

I really suspect that the recent up-surge of ads is due to the acquisition of the package earlier this year by Kromtech Alliance, and they're looking to get their investment back out of it.

The deeper answer to this is simple.. Google ads. They drop a cookie on your Mac, follow where you'e been, find what your interests are, and then advertise to you. it's stupidly simple. If you're unsure of how this works, just go to say Amazon, browse thru an area of products you'd otherwise not look at, then give a few minutes... soon, you'll start seeing ads targeted directly at those same product sales that you previously browsed on Amazon. It's a simple and effective process.. And the Kromtech/ZeoBits folks hired Google to do it for them. Thy're not spamming you anymore than Google is... If you see a boogie-man, congratulations--google has been behind the curtain spamming you for 5yrs..

They've got a 2 week trial version, so (IMHO) let the user see for himself if it's worthwhile. personally, I've got no need for it, as I write my own scripts and do my own HDD cleanup.. but that's not for everyone--some of my clients are fearful of 'freeware', so they'd rather have something like this than say onyx or another app... After all, they're Mac users, already gullible and willing to pay the Apple tax. what's a few bucks more?? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro i7 Dual SSD HD 2.56ghz 15" and 17, 5 other Macs
My Advise

Dad's been a Mac User Since 1990, now being said from numerous users and friends using this particular software, well all he said was don't install it. Trust me LOL .. figured i wouldn't and actually i did, and fan started as if i never heard the fan run in turbo mode. Dad said something to do with background processing. Just a word of advise i guess. I deleted it, dad said it's not fully deleted. So i had to reformat everything. Great ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a word of advise i guess. I deleted it, dad said it's not fully deleted. So i had to reformat everything. Great ...

Welcome to the Mac Forums. And it looks like Father knows best! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Welcome to the Mac Forums. And it looks like Father knows best! ;)

Just was going through the last posts in this thread and my very thoughts! :)

I was just going to post the pic below w/o comment - ;) Dave

father-knows-best.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac late 2006 10.6.8 & iMac 2.7 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.2
No, not quite !

I'm new to Macs, having bought in 2011.
That's also when I started reading Mac-Forums.

My trust in this forum is lessened by the continual presence of MacKeeper ads.
The 'review', while well done, was unconvincing and did little to restore my trust in this forum.
I accepted MacKeeper because of its proximity to this trusted forum.
I now routinely avoid sites with these ads, which is why I am posting so tardily here.
I will not be so trusting here again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about your decision Cindy, however, as has been pointed out in the past we have no control over what advertisements appear on this web site. Certainly if we approved of MacKeeper, we would not have gone through the trouble of putting it to the tests that we did. The blog clearly points all of that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well Cindy, if you have been reading these forums since 2011, then you would know, even though there is a Blog on MK, that the majority of the Members here warn everyone to STAY AWAY from it.
Its a real shame that you can judge a whole community, on a single blog post, and one that was very fair and reasonable.
We need to keep the forums going, and although we are all volunteers, including the staff and Admin here, it needs some sort of income, and unfortunately this comes from Advertising. If people want to pay for space they get it. Who are we to judge about who can and can't.
If you have been reading the forums since 2011, you would know that MK is piece of crap, and you need to put the onus on yourself, and do a little background work, before you blame others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
If you have been reading the forums since 2011, you would know that MK is piece of crap, and you need to put the onus on yourself, and do a little background work, before you blame others.

Couldn't agree more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac,intel core i3,processor speed 3.06ghz,processors 1,cores 2,L2 cache per core 256kb,L3 cache 4mb
Be very aware of this software I had it installed and used it for about a month then I saw for the first time a heading called left overs(I think)any way went into this and it seemed like it was bits and pieces from uninstalled software asked if I wanted to remove them clicked yes,oh what a fool I was, after shut down later in the day my mac would not re-start to cut short apple took my mac away and informed me that a new hd was needed as they couldn't get it to re-start/boot up.I was very lucky as I still had 2 weeks left on my apple care.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be very aware of this software I had it installed and used it for about a month then I saw for the first time a heading called left overs(I think)any way went into this and it seemed like it was bits and pieces from uninstalled software asked if I wanted to remove them clicked yes,oh what a fool I was, after shut down later in the day my mac would not re-start to cut short apple took my mac away and informed me that a new hd was needed as they couldn't get it to re-start/boot up.I was very lucky as I still had 2 weeks left on my apple care.

As much as I loathe MacKeeper, chances are this was pure coincidence. Generally speaking, software issues do not cause hardware problems. If your hard drive truly was faulty, it would have failed to boot regardless of whether MacKeeper was installed or not.

Though I agree with your overall sentiment - MacKeeper is rubbish.

Reaction score
support lifeisabeach's idea

what do u all think of Clean my Mac 2?
would love to see article clearly comparing programs that do provide same services
--with short explanation of what the action does for my mac---& where to get it
that article was well written, fair, & informative on many levels. thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what do u all think of Clean my Mac 2?
would love to see article clearly comparing programs that do provide same services
--with short explanation of what the action does for my mac---& where to get it
that article was well written, fair, & informative on many levels. thanks

It's another largely unnecessary program, marketed in an unscrupulous manner and which essentially performs the same tasks that are better done with freeware programs like Onyx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.