New iMacs now shipping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just got a message from Apple that my CC had been charged for my new 27 inch iMac. Shipping is pending but should be in the next day or so. Looks like they are finally shipping to the US.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let us know how you like it when you receive it. I'm especially interested in the newer non glare screen it sports.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do. It's due to be delivered on the 16th but I'll be out of town on business until the 19th. I've finished my infrastructure upgrade to USB 3 so it'll just be a matter of using my Time machine HDD to "restore" the new machine to mirror the current one. I'll probably include pictures too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yup, my 21.5" is scheduled for Monday delivery. :)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, my 21.5" is scheduled for Monday delivery. :)

Those have been shipping for a while already, haven't they? They are also available in the Apple retail stores. The 27s haven't been available at all in the US (retail or on-line) and the Apple site still simply says - Available for shipping: January.

You'll like the 21.5 though. Bought my wife one in Mid december to replace her old CoreDuo first gen Intel iMac. Nice machine and the i5 is quite fast. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Just got a message from Apple that my CC had been charged for my new 27 inch iMac. Shipping is pending but should be in the next day or so. Looks like they are finally shipping to the US.

Congrats.

Looks like a great setup.

(Your passion for the product resounds and you'll really enjoy the product)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, today will be setup and transition day from the 21.5 inch 13 iMac to the 27 inch i7 iMac. I purchased additional RAM from OWC to install (bumping it from 8 to 16 Gb). Because of the size of the new machine I did some desk reconfiguring in advance and realized that still running a corded mouse and keyboard, while doable, wasn't really convenient. Realizing such I found and purchased both of these two:

M570 Wireless Trackball - Logitech

to replace my older and still very useful MS Trackball Mouse. Just can't seem to get back into using a regular Mouse, even the Apple Magic Mouse, after so many years of using a trackball.

and:

Logitech.com

to replace my standard Apple keyboard. I didn't order a wireless Apple keyboard with the new machine since I still have the one that came the with i3 iMac and I don't like not having number pad on the side (there's another thread about that).

I'll post pictures later as I go through the setup and transition.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, today will be setup and transition day from the 21.5 inch 13 iMac to the 27 inch i7 iMac. I purchased additional RAM from OWC to install (bumping it from 8 to 16 Gb). Because of the size of the new machine I did some desk reconfiguring in advance and realized that still running a corded mouse and keyboard, while doable, wasn't really convenient. Realizing such I found and purchased both of these two:

Sounds like you're FINALLY getting a chance to play around with your new computer (I remember you mentioning a few days ago the initial delivery attempts & schedule conflicts).

Gonna be a VERY nice setup with that i7 cpu, 27" display, and 16 gig of ram!!!:)

Are you going to sell or keep the 21.5" iMac?

- Nick

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you going to sell or keep the 21.5" iMac?

Maybe.

I've nearer purchased a new machine when the old one wasn't seriously outdated or just plain broken so I'm not sure what to do. Most of my old machines sit over in storage and collect dust but this case is different.

I offered to sell it at a much reduced price to both my oldest and my nephew, but both declined. I have a friend at work who is interested but hasn't said yes or no. Locally they are going for about $800 on Craigslist so if I decide to sell it that way I'll drop it to $600 to sell it. Otherwise maybe I'll set it up as a streaming movie machine in the spare bedroom or something.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've nearer purchased a new machine when the old one wasn't seriously outdated or just plain broken so I'm not sure what to do. Most of my old machines sit over in storage and collect dust but this case is different.

I hear ya...haven't purchased a brand new Mac in a long time...but even with my used purchases...I still hate to get rid of the previous (for example) 4 year-old used computer I was using...when I get a "new to me" used 2 year-old computer.

One thing I like to do when I've decided to get rid of the old computer...is make a "clone" of my old computers hard drive. That way I can always "virtually boot" into my "old computer" if I'm having problems. Of course this assumes that everything on the old computers HD is compatible with the new computer (OS version & apps.)...or an old computer is still around the house that can boot the old computers cloned HD.

A 2nd reason I hate to get rid of an older computer is...if it was capable of booting an older OS version that the new computer is not capable of. For example the new computer may only be capable of booting into OS 10.8 versus an "old computer" being able to boot into 10.6 and/or 10.7. I always have lots of older software lying around...and it's always nice to be able to boot into older OS versions to run the older software.

I'm sure with your experience you may be thinking the same things. Of course getting $600-$800 for the old computer is always nice to offset some of the cost of the new computer!:)

- Nick

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear ya...haven't purchased a brand new Mac in a long time...but even with my used purchases...I still hate to get rid of the previous (for example) 4 year-old used computer I was using...when I get a "new to me" used 2 year-old computer.

One thing I like to do when I've decided to get rid of the old computer...is make a "clone" of my old computers hard drive. That way I can always "virtually boot" into my "old computer" if I'm having problems. Of course this assumes that everything on the old computers HD is compatible with the new computer (OS version & apps.)...or an old computer is still around the house that can boot the old computers cloned HD.

A 2nd reason I hate to get rid of an older computer is...if it was capable of booting an older OS version that the new computer is not capable of. For example the new computer may only be capable of booting into OS 10.8 versus an "old computer" being able to boot into 10.6 and/or 10.7. I always have lots of older software lying around...and it's always nice to be able to boot into older OS versions to run the older software.

I'm sure with your experience you may be thinking the same things. Of course getting $600-$800 for the old computer is always nice to offset some of the cost of the new computer!:)

- Nick

I got the i3 iMac when my Quad G5 finally died for good. I got my G5 when my G4 stopped working reliably. I got my G4 when my Performa 6400 became unable to run reasonably new Software even with the CPU upgrade. You see the pattern. Very few of my old machines were fully functional when they were replaced.

Fortunately the i3 is really only about a year and a half old and I've been using Time Machine as a back up. Right now the i7 is "restoring" from the last time machine backup of the i3, basically an hour ago. I'll miss a few e-mails but that's about it. In essence the TM backup serves as a strait backup so I can still virtually look through the i3 for the past several months of data if needed. Eventually that will catch up to the point where all of the backups are of the i7 but that'll be a few months.

The other nice thing about this time as opposed to last time is that I don't need to make any big software breaks. Going from the G5 to the i3 required me to upgrade or ditch a lot of the software I was running on the G5 simply due to obsolescence. Not the case this time, and with the TM restore, there shouldn't be any requirement for software reinstalls etc.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are some of the pics of the unpacking and initial setup. I installed the extra RAM right off the bat. Apple has made installing the RAM far easier this time around than any previous machine I've owned. The RAM carriage slides up for easy access. The button to open the RAM compartment is inside of the power socket so you really can't have the machine powered on when you open it up, thus keeping the less mechanically inclined from frying their machines.

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.