• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

blur-ray on leopard

Reaction score
I'm wondering what us leopard users have for options with regards to watching blu-ray on leopard?

which rom's or burners?

which appz?

thanks
Jason

mac pro

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Right now, I don't think you can. I don't believe there is a blu-ray player application available.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks I'll keep an eye out then.

Looking forward to FCP studio 3 with blu-ray output in dvd studio.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that DVD Studio is blu-ray ready, Apple may need to send out an update to enable it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I believe that DVD Studio is blu-ray ready, Apple may need to send out an update to enable it.
The question was regarding playback, not creation. Also, DVD Studio Pro does not have a Blu-Ray creation option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Toast is the only app I know of that supports Blu-ray.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
You cannot watch Blu-Ray movies on Leapord, as there are no HDCP compliant video cards available for Macs at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
You cannot watch Blu-Ray movies on Leapord, as there are no HDCP compliant video cards available for Macs at this time.

As far as I'm aware there are also no discs with the HDCP options enabled.

Last I heard, the word was that the powers that be wouldn't give Apple permission to use the decryption keys because of security concerns about how they where stored (being too easy for people to get hold of and use to make unauthorized copies of the discs, which they've already had bad experiences with).

I also think Apple isn't going to bother with Blu-Ray support until it has BD drives in its machines (and possibly HDCP support); but if Apple is waiting for an ultra-thin, ultra-affordable drive, that might take awhile (I don't know, I haven't really followed the HD stuff... maybe they've already got slim slot-loading drives that don't cost too much? How big/expensive/power hungry is the PS3 drive?). On the other hand they might support external drives once the Mac Pro gets a BD drive... which should be any time last year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.