passwords only occassionally remembered

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
why is it that my passwords are only occasionally remembered by the password manager? When I log into one of my email accounts that's web based, I get a message 50+% of the time with blanks for my username and password. And then...sometimes they are there. There's a box to check to have them remembered, but checking it seems to make no difference. I don't even know what app the "password manager" is from? Firefox? It looks like it...

Thanks,

Picture 1.png

M

MacHeadCase

Keychain in Mac OS X is where all passwords are stored. But Password Manager seems to be a Fieefox thing as I just searched my hard drive and I don't have it: I don't use Firefox.

When you visit a website where you have to enter info like username and password, you usually get a drop down window asking you if you want to Remember this password for this website (can't remember the textual wording on this though). If you click ok you won't have to enter the data each and every time. If you don't get that window, then you'll have to enter the info on every visit.

Maybe there is something wrong with Firefox? Have you tried another browser to see if it too acts like this every time? I have no problems with Tiger's Safari. Or maybe you can find a Firefox add-on for the username/password thingy.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
why is it that my passwords are only occasionally remembered by the password manager? When I log into one of my email accounts that's web based, I get a message 50+% of the time with blanks for my username and password. And then...sometimes they are there. There's a box to check to have them remembered, but checking it seems to make no difference. I don't even know what app the "password manager" is from? Firefox? It looks like it...

Thanks,

Sorry I don't know of a fix for this - I think it is a Firefox 2.0 thing as I never used to have the problem on older versions of Firefox on my PC - however since the upgrade to FF2.0 I also get the problem you mention on my PC and on my Mac. It's not all the time and in my case it is rarer than maybe 15% of the time.

It's almost as if Firefox thinks you have more than one account for the page your trying to log in to. In my case if I just type the username and then hit the TAB key the password is entered automatically - so as long as I didn't choose an unusual username for said web site then I'm fine.

If you do find a fix - please share. :)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Keychain in Mac OS X is where all passwords are stored.

W.

Yeah, I've seen keychain and maybe I'm daft, but I swear, I was having the same problem with that. I have seen a window from keychain in weeks if not longer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.