iMac G3 Slot Loader 400mHz 10GB HD upgrade questions..

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Tyler and I new to the group. I recently bought a Bondi Blue iMac G3 400mHz 10GB for $25. It's awesome. It starts up and is as fast as my families gateway PC. However I need more space and I want more RAM. I was planning on getting the 120GB Hard Drive. I don't know where I should get it from, but I plan on it. I was reading about transferring files/hard ware or something and was wondering what exactly must be done once the new hard drive is plugged up in the computer? That's my major concern. Also will anything have to be done for the system once the RAM is in? One more thing is over heating really an issue? If so I would settle for an 80GB. Please let me know ASAP!

Thanks!
iMac G3 Lover!

C

chas_m

Welcome!

I am so impressed that you are impressed by a Mac from 1998! :)

To answer your questions:

1. RAM may be a bit hard to find, but should be cheap and is easy to install on that model. Just remember to put a towel down so you don't damage the screen when you put it "face down" to open the bottom panel (where the RAM is) and be SURE to discharge any static!

2. The hard drive might be a bit tricky too, since you'll want an ATA (*not* SATA) hard drive no larger than 120GB, and that hasn't been made in a long while. Check your local fleabag PC shop, they'll probably have one lying around you can have for $5.

3. Overheating is not really an issue unless you let the cat sleep on top of the machine, or let it get extremely dusty. The heat vents out the top.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

My name is Tyler and I new to the group. I recently bought a Bondi Blue iMac G3 400mHz 10GB for $25. It's awesome. It starts up and is as fast as my families gateway PC. However I need more space and I want more RAM. I was planning on getting the 120GB Hard Drive. I don't know where I should get it from, but I plan on it. I was reading about transferring files/hard ware or something and was wondering what exactly must be done once the new hard drive is plugged up in the computer? That's my major concern. Also will anything have to be done for the system once the RAM is in? One more thing is over heating really an issue? If so I would settle for an 80GB. Please let me know ASAP!

Thanks!
iMac G3 Lover!

This 400mhz iMac can be upgraded to 1.0gig of PC-100 ram...and at most a 128gig 3.5" ultra ATA/IDE hard drive.

These old original G3 iMacs are pretty neat little machines...but I would be very careful when investing additional $$$ in them.

You paid $25 for it (which is a decent price)...but when you start talking hard drive, ram, and maybe an OS upgrade...you can start spending a lot of money that might get you a better (but still used) old Mac. Be careful what ram you get...not just any PC-100 will work (Mac's can be picky when it comes to ram).

The other big problem with the old G3 iMacs is that the CRT display (after 10+ years of use)...can start to go bad at any time. But beyond that...enjoy it. And for $25...you can't go wrong!;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I wasn't aware of the screen failing! Also I don't really mind putting money into this computer. I don't have nearly enough money to get a brand new iMac, so this is going to be my computer for a while. I really love these computers, despite their limitations.

However one thing I don't quite understand is this:

Once I hook-up the new hard drive and RAM, is it just plugin and go?
I also forgot to say that I have OSX 10.4.11 if that helps?

Thanks again! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't aware of the screen failing!

Anything with an older CRT monitor is prone to failure. LCD's can go bad as well...but the CRT displays just have more things that can go wrong with them. Plus many of those old G3 iMacs are 8-10 years old...with an unknown number of hours of use on them.

If a G3 iMac has a low number of hours on it...then the monitor will be fine for a while. But if it has seen a LOT of hours of use (such as in an academic setting like a computer lab)...then it may not have a lot of life left. Just use it as long as you can..and enjoy it!:)

Pretty much...just got to format the new hard drive first. The ram is plug & play (as long as you get ram that's fully compatible with a Macintosh).

OS 10.4.11 is the latest version you can install on one of those G3 iMac's. Some folks even prefer to install nothing newer than 10.3 on them for a little extra performance (10.4.11 can slow things down a bit). But I have 10.4.11 on a couple of my old G3 iMacs...and I'm ok with it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Thanks Guys! I wasn't aware of the screen failing! Also I don't really mind putting money into this computer. I don't have nearly enough money to get a brand new iMac, so this is going to be my computer for a while. I really love these computers, despite their limitations.

Thanks again! :)

When you say you have 10.4.11, do you mean that it's already installed on the machine, or that you have a disk? Anyway, the Hard Drive and ram should work fine once put in and an OS is installed. Concerning the screen, CRT's in all-in-one Macs are prone to failure, especially after 10+ years. ;D

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I am total noob when it comes to these iMacs, but if/when the screen goes bad can you fix it?

Also as far as formatting a new hard drive.. What exactly does that mean? What do I have to do?

I also wasn't aware of the 10.4.11 slows it down, oh well. It's good for me :)

Thanks for all the help!
I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see. I am total noob when it comes to these iMacs, but if/when the screen goes bad can you fix it?

Thanks for all the help!
I really appreciate it!

You can't really fix it, unless you have some amazing computer skills. But don't worry about it that much, CRT's usually die slowly, with symptoms of dimming/flickering. If you don't have any of that now, you should be fine. If the screen does go though, you can hook up an external monitor via VGA, although it's kinda awkward to use, and kills the whole "iMac G3 Experience" in my opinion. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Almost anything can be fixed/repaired/replaced...it just depends on how much skill you have or how many $$$ you're willing to spend. Typically...repairing a CRT display (when they eventually are not working properly)...is not worth it financially...especially on a computer that costs $25 dollars.

Also as far as formatting a new hard drive.. What exactly does that mean? What do I have to do?
I'm kind of surprised to hear this question from you. If you're intending on replacing the hard drive...I was assuming you knew what you were doing...since replacing a hard drive on an iMac G3 is not exactly easy. It's not exactly hard...but not easy either.

To format the hard drive you need to open "Disk Utility" then select the drive to be formatted, then format the drive. To do this...the new drive:

1. If installed inside the computer you need to boot from an OS install disk...then format the new hard drive.

2. If the new drive is not installed yet (old hard drive still in the computer)...then the new drive needs to be installed in an external hard drive case, then the external hard drive plugged into the iMac via a USB or firewire port...then formatted.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Exactly! It totally ruins the reason I love this computer.
Like I said, I prefer this computer over newer iMacs, so I don't really care about putting money into it.(I know, dumb)

Do any repair shops in the world really repair these screens? That would be awesome. I know my screen is fine now, but eventually I may need them!? lol

OP
T
Reaction score
Almost anything can be fixed/repaired/replaced...it just depends on how much skill you have or how many $$$ you're willing to spend. Typically...repairing a CRT display (when they eventually are not working properly)...is not worth it financially...especially on a computer that costs $25 dollars.

I'm kind of surprised to hear this question from you. If you're intending on replacing the hard drive...I was assuming you knew what you were doing...since replacing a hard drive on an iMac G3 is not exactly easy. It's not exactly hard...but not easy either.

To format the hard drive you need to open "Disk Utility" then select the drive to be formatted, then format the drive. To do this...the new drive:

1. If installed inside the computer you need to boot from an OS install disk...then format the new hard drive.

2. If the new drive is not installed yet (old hard drive still in the computer)...then the new drive needs to be installed in an external hard drive case, then the external hard drive plugged into the iMac via a USB or firewire port...then formatted.

- Nick

Well the cost of repair isn't my concern, but I understand how to get to the hard drive and replace but as far as the formatting goes.. I really couldn't find a clear definite answer. However I don't have the OS disk? When I got the computer I had to used the code to make a new user account. If I can find a disk is that all I will need? Thanks a lot for helping me with this! I needed a clear answer for it :) My gratitude Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do any repair shops in the world really repair these screens? That would be awesome. I know my screen is fine now, but eventually I may need them!? lol

I think if you ever needed to get the iMacs CRT display repaired...after you get an estimate for a repair such as this...you will be "singing a different tune".;) I wouldn't be surprised if a repair place (if you can find one willing & knowledgeable enough to do it)...charged you $200-$250 or more!!!:(

If you haven't fully disassembled one of these iMac G3's...you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to open them up to get full access to the CRT display components. So:

- lots of time for the repair shop to disassemble the computer
- the cost of the repair parts
- time to install the repair parts (lots of soldering & desoldering)
- lots of time to reassemble the computer

Basically...lots of $$$$ for a computer that's worth $25 or less.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... I understand how to get to the hard drive and replace but as far as the formatting goes.. I really couldn't find a clear definite answer. However I don't have the OS disk?

If you don't have an OS install disk...how are you going to install the OS on that new hard drive?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly! It totally ruins the reason I love this computer.
Like I said, I prefer this computer over newer iMacs, so I don't really care about putting money into it.(I know, dumb)

Wow, you seem very worried about the screen. ;) Let me put it like this... If a year from now after you've upgraded, the screen dies. The easier/cheaper solution would be to buy a New iMac G3, rather than repairing the machine you have now. And if given the opportunity, you could pick up a faster 500,600, or 700 MHz Model and transfer the upgraded parts into that one. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
To answer your questions:

1. RAM may be a bit hard to find, but should be cheap and is easy to install on that model.

You can get RAM for these machines no problem on eBay. Or ask your local independent Mac store, I scored a free stick of 512MB by just asking.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, you seem very worried about the screen. ;) Let me put it like this... If a year from now after you've upgraded, the screen dies. The easier/cheaper solution would be to buy a New iMac G3, rather than repairing the machine you have now. And if given the opportunity, you could pick up a faster 500,600, or 700 MHz Model and transfer the upgraded parts into that one. ;D

I'm with you 100%. Definitely better to purchase another iMac G3 then to try and repair the current one!

To the OP: Yes...don't worry too much about your iMac's display. If it's working fine now...it will probably be fine for a while. There are at least four signs that a CRT display is going bad:

- text on the screen starts to get fuzzy
- you start to hear a high pitched "whining" sound
- the picture on the display starts to "jiggle, wiggle, or just isn't rock steady"
- you can hear an electrical "popping" sound inside the computer

I only mentioned the CRT display possibly being a problem since it is a G3 iMac...and the CRT display on them can eventually go bad.

Enjoy it,:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
If you don't have an OS install disk...how are you going to install the OS on that new hard drive?

- Nick

Well.. that's a great question hah :p
Can I just get a disk off ebay? (This is why I love these forums!) You people rock! hah

and I would pay $250! it's still much cheaper than the beastly iMacs in best buy. I want one of those for my world of warcraft addiction :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with you 100%. Definitely better to purchase another iMac G3 then to try and repair the current one!

To the OP: Yes...don't worry too much about your iMac's display. If it's working fine now...it will probably be fine for a while. There are at least four signs that a CRT display is going bad:

- text on the screen starts to get fuzzy
- you start to hear a high pitched "whining" sound
- the picture on the display starts to "jiggle, wiggle, or just isn't rock steady"
- you can hear an electrical "popping" sound inside the computer

I only mentioned the CRT display possibly being a problem since it is a G3 iMac...and the CRT display on them can eventually go bad.

Enjoy it,:)

- Nick

Uh-oh. :Oops: That little "wiggle" isn't supposed to be there? My G3 iMac has it just a little tiny bit in some areas. Can barely notice it...But now you've got me nervous! :| That'd be my luck... I'd upgrade it, (which I was hoping to do soon) and the screen dies like 2 days later. :Grimmace:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.. that's a great question hah :p
Can I just get a disk off ebay? (This is why I love these forums!) You people rock! hah

Yes you can get an OS disk on e-Bay...three things to know:

1. Don't buy "gray" colored disks. They are model specific...and won't work on your computer. You don't want an upgrade disk either. You want a full install disk.

2. I don't know for sure what exact model G3 iMac you have...but you have to be sure whether you have a CD or DVD drive. You don't want to buy a DVD OS install disk if you only have a CD drive.

3. OS install disks can be expensive. For OS 10.4 (Tiger) DVD version...I'm thinking about $75 bucks. The 4-CD version is more rare...and can cost a good bit more.

and I would pay $250! it's still much cheaper than the beastly iMacs in best buy.
Ok "Mr. Money-bags" ;)...maybe you would pay $250 for a CRT repair if you needed it. But for the same $250 you could buy a MUCH better & newer Macintosh computer...like a dual processor Powermac G5.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh-oh. :Oops: That little "wiggle" isn't supposed to be there? My G3 iMac has it just a little tiny bit in some areas. Can barely notice it...But now you've got me nervous! :| That'd be my luck... I'd upgrade it, (which I was hoping to do soon) and the screen dies like 2 days later. :Grimmace:

Yes...no wiggles! The display should be rock solid to be a "perfect shape" CRT display. Those little "wiggles" means something inside is starting to give out. But that still doesn't mean there isn't a good bit of useful life left in the monitor.

Just like you mentioned in an earlier post in this thread..."most" CRT problems develop slowly...and take a long time before they are a problem.

But I do have to mention that I have had CRT monitors work one day...then a loud POP!!!...then you get the electrical smoke smell from burning electronics or wire insulation...and a non-working CRT display!:(

Anything is possible,

- Nick

p.s. One thing to remember is...MANY MANY of these G3 iMacs you see for sale are coming from academic environments...where they were used VERY heavily. Maybe being turned on 8-12 hours/day...lots & lots of usage hours. Then sellers buy them by the pallet load...and sell them for $25-$50 bucks each. If someone is able to get a used G3 iMac from an individual seller...who just used it in their home...these are usually in MUCH better shape (less use hours).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.