Atv2 doa?

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I just purchased an Apple TV 2 from Gainsaver. Finally got it yesterday, plugged it in, and woosh, black screen. Now I've learned a lot since yesterday at 3 pm, including different HDMI and USB cables, resetting and DFU mode, etc. One common thing that I have noticed throughout is that the ATV2 will always boot in a recovery mode. Whenever it is in iTunes I only see the summary page and an option to restore. In TinyUmbrella I force it out of recovery and it just goes right back in under a different recovery device number. Have also tried Recboot to no avail. Furthermore, I have restored the ATV 2 at least 10 times. Does anyone else have any advice.

Other info: I have seen the "Plug into iTunes" icon at some points, and then I have also seen the Apple Logo for around 5-10 secs, but then black on my screen. My TV is an Emerson LC320EM1 720P HDTV.

Thank you everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Honestly I think you're best just getting it replaced.

OP
J
Reaction score
Of course that's a possibility, but I don't want to have to wait two weeks to get it back ;). Was hoping someone around these parts knew of somethings to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I humbly suggest that it could be an interconnect issue.

I eventually discovered that my HDMI cable wasn't seated correctly in the back of the ATV2 due to the plug moulding inhibiting. It was so simple, but I had tried every which way until I bought a new $15 dollar v1.3b cable and bingo..it worked.

Did you get a new cable or did you swap it out with an older one?

EDIT: my experience is here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/music-audio-podcasting/261093-atv2-denon-avr1910.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually bought a brand new cable, a 4ft Auvio cable.

Good, but it is it sat fully home in both sockets ? Manipulate the plugs from side to side when you are in the black screen.

EDIT Can you swap the TV out?

OP
J
Reaction score
I see, I'll try that when I get home in an hour. You are referring to the back of the ATV2 right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see, I'll try that when I get home in an hour. You are referring to the back of the ATV2 right?

Yes, this was the problem for me but also check the connection into the TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck on fiddling around with the HDMI ports.

Ok, worth a try. I thinks it's worth swapping out the TV or hooking it up to a friend's TV if you can. It could be duff as mrplow says in any event.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.