MacBook Pro 15" memory upgrade (ADVICE PLEASE)

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've got a MacBook Pro 15" with Mac OSX 10.5.8, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I think it's time for a RAM upgrade since it's becoming too slow. I run programs like AutoCAD and 3D modeling so it takes years to get work done. I'm pretty sure I can upgrade to two 2GB memory cards.

What should I buy (brand/model) that's not too expensive but will do a good job? Where can I buy it?

Thanks for the advice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What year is that MBP from? You might even be able to upgrade to 6 GB. Check your specs from "about this mac". What's your model identifier version? If 4.1 then you can do 6.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score

Why yes it IS Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1 !!!
This is gonna be good.
So it's a 4GB+2GB? They don't do 3GB right?

Doug, do you reccomend OWC as well??

Thanks pigoo and Doug for answering so quickly!

OP
S
Reaction score
Wait a minute.... what's this I see in OWC ???

**Apple factory specification maximum 4.0GB, OWC tested to support 6.0GB
maximum RAM.

So there's a chance that I install 6GB and might not work or what?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes it will work. If you want to upgrade to 6gig (instead of 4gig)...then go for it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yep, OWC, Crucial or Newegg.com are all good sources. OWC gets dibs for really good customer service and specializing in all things Mac.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
More memory will definitely help with the applications you mentioned. What it will NOT fix however is your "mac is becoming slow." If you weren't simply referring to the fact you are now running more heavy duty applications, the slowdown could be caused by other factors - like an almost full hard drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I try to keep at least 10% of my hard drive free but even so, it's slower than it used to be and when I do exceed that amount it becomes even slower.

I've got the Activity Monitor App permanently on my menu bar. On finishing startup the Used Memory indicates approximately 600MB (of 2GB). Applications like Firefox, AutoCAD and VirtualBox by themselves usually boost that mark up to 1GB-1.2GB. I'm hoping increasing the memory to at least 4GB will help make my mac faster... or am I wrong? Is there anything else you recommend?

Thanx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I don't know how big your AutoCAD projects are (I never used AutoCAD before) but you might want to store them on an external drive.
For me on my '07 MBP, I store all my Logic 9 music projects and samples on an external Firewire 800 HD. It cuts down on processor usage so no lags when I use Logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I am sure you will see some improvement. Here I am not an expert and maybe someone else can answer, but I believe that 10% is the absolute minimum free space you should have for efficient operation on OSX. You might get more improvement from a larger internal hard drive if possible.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't know how big your AutoCAD projects are (I never used AutoCAD before) but you might want to store them on an external drive.
For me on my '07 MBP, I store all my Logic 9 music projects and samples on an external Firewire 800 HD. It cuts down on processor usage so no lags when I use Logic.
My ACAD files usually range from 1MB-10MB. The thing is I do have to have on my computer most of my projects. I try to clean up and backup the older files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
Hi Bob,

I try to keep at least 10% of my hard drive free but even so, it's slower than it used to be and when I do exceed that amount it becomes even slower.

I've got the Activity Monitor App permanently on my menu bar. On finishing startup the Used Memory indicates approximately 600MB (of 2GB). Applications like Firefox, AutoCAD and VirtualBox by themselves usually boost that mark up to 1GB-1.2GB. I'm hoping increasing the memory to at least 4GB will help make my mac faster... or am I wrong? Is there anything else you recommend?

Thanx!
I always say to immediately upgrade your memory AND hard drive. It looks like you can get the 6GB so I would go for that rather and the 4GB (There won't be a much of a price difference). You should also look into upgrading your hard drive to the highest you can afford, esp if your getting in that 10% range. I purchased my memory (8GB) off eBay for only $40. It will be even cheaper to get the 6GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.