Old G4 Keeps telling me to Restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 400MHz 896MB RAM WOOHOO
Hi All,

Still kind of new to mac-forums, and apple in general. Linux guy trying to use mac. Current issue: Every time I go to power on I get the message "You need to restart your computer.Hold down the Power button etc etc.." I don't understand why this is happening, I mean I believe I did a hard shut down on it once when trying to get a ps2-usb cable to work but thats about it. Has anyone experienced this kinda issue before? I am using a Dell keyboard and mouse. I should note that sometimes after maybe 2 -3 restarts I can actually move the mouse but there is just a light blue background and other times that loading icon just keeps rotating and rotating...so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this restart message the one that comes up in a window with about 4 languages on it? If so this is a kernel panic. In many cases this is due to incompatible ram...or incompatible video card.

Give us some additional details...and we can go from there.

- Nick

OP
MACn0ob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, thanks for the post. Yes that is exactly the error message I get..Literally happend out of nowhere..I'll check the Ram and Video Card .. but I haven't been inside the case or banged it around..

Reaction score
Is this restart message the one that comes up in a window with about 4 languages on it? If so this is a kernel panic. In many cases this is due to incompatible ram...or incompatible video card.

- Nick

A USB hub made my Quicksilver panic...Have you repaired permissions from the installer disc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A USB hub made my Quicksilver panic...Have you repaired permissions from the installer disc.

That was going to be my next suggestion (unplug everything from the computer other than the keyboard & mouse) depending on what the OP found with the ram & video card.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
That was going to be my next suggestion (unplug everything from the computer other than the keyboard & mouse) depending on what the OP found with the ram & video card.:)

- Nick

10-4....My QS just hated that hub..it went in the trash-o-la.;D

OP
MACn0ob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks for the posts..I have reseated the RAM and GPU but still same issue.. This box was a trade with a friend and I do not have any discs that came with it..although I do have techtool pro v5 will that do the same thing or is the installer cd crucial for this fix?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks for the posts..I have reseated the RAM and GPU but still same issue.. This box was a trade with a friend and I do not have any discs that came with it..although I do have techtool pro v5 will that do the same thing or is the installer cd crucial for this fix?

Sometimes "reseating" can work...but what you need to do is remove all the ram...then install just 1 stick at a time. If the computer is stable with 1 stick, then insert a 2nd stick of ram. Then again see if it is stable. Do this until you find the "bad/incompatible" ram stick or sticks (I'm not sure how may you have, you didn't tell us).;)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
MACn0ob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all who helped! Used a buddies disc from work and got this thing to work again! Thank You!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.