Can't decide whether to get the new Macbook or 13" Macbook Pro!

Reaction score
I'm familiar with all the specs of each, just can't decide which one to get! I found the new Macbook for essentially $800 at Microcenter ($999 plus $200 VISA gift card via rebate) so I'm leaning toward that. My needs are pretty basic--playing music, organizing and editing my photos (I have a gazillion) and a new project I want to start--converting my old VHS home movies to DVD. I'm thinking the MB will be fine for me--I was going to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB RAM though, since I'll be doing all the movie stuff. Or is that not even necessary? Is the body on the MBP that much better? Seems to me it's $200 more for less hard drive (160 instead of 250), the aluminum body, an SD card slot, a backlit keyboard, and a firewire port. I'm fine with spending more money if it will truly make a difference for me, but I'm just not well-versed enough in things like RAM, processing speed, etc. and how the differences in amounts and speed will really translate into day-to-day use. I've never had a Macbook before, and am very excited to get one! We use iMacs at work and I've completely fallen in love with Macs :) Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try them both out in person before you decide. While the MacBook probably does suit your needs, the new 13" MBP is a very nice machine - easy to fall in love with. :) It's your decision and your $$$.

Regards.

Reaction score
Despite being an unibody, the structure of the white Macbook is still going to fail one way or another in the long run. Even if it doesn't, you are still going to face discoloration issues. I will go for the unibody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would go with the pro as the easiest way to convert VHS to DVD is through a firewire device and the new macbook does not have a firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
I'd go for the pro. Refurb it's $999

Reaction score
MBP..I cant think of any other computer to buy. YES its a bit more expensive (if you buy new)
Comes with everything you need and more. It is seriously worth the extra cash.

Reaction score
MBP..I cant think of any other computer to buy. YES its a bit more expensive (if you buy new)
Comes with everything you need and more. It is seriously worth the extra cash.

I TOTALLY AGREE! I bought my 13" MBP with very humble needs, and have discovered so much more from it, and it has totally been worth the extra cash! I am no expert on RAM and such, but the person who consulted me and led me to Apple assured me upgraded RAM and hard-drive makes a difference in the long-term enjoyment and performance of the lap-top.

OP
B
Reaction score
I TOTALLY AGREE! I bought my 13" MBP with very humble needs, and have discovered so much more from it, and it has totally been worth the extra cash! I am no expert on RAM and such, but the person who consulted me and led me to Apple assured me upgraded RAM and hard-drive makes a difference in the long-term enjoyment and performance of the lap-top.

That's the thing though, the 13" MBP has the same RAM (2GB) as the MB, and actually has a smaller hard drive. So wouldn't upgrading the RAM on the MB make it better than the MBP? I just don't understand why, if I upgrade the MB, it's not as good or better than the MBP? Everyone just seems to say MBP is just better but (other than the body, firewire) I just don't get why! Maybe it's just a feeling you get :) Thanks for everyone's help!

OP
B
Reaction score
I would go with the pro as the easiest way to convert VHS to DVD is through a firewire device and the new macbook does not have a firewire.

Oh! Do you know of a video capture device that works via firewire? All the ones I've found online so far are USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
What are your thoughts on buying refurbished? I've always been wary of this...but is it legit? Does it depend on where you get it from?

Refurbs from Apple direct are perfectly fine. You will be hard pressed to tell that it is not new. The only thing that you don't get is the fancy box. I have purchased a Cinema Display, MBP, and two iMacs from the Apple outlet. I have not had any issues at all. IMO it is a no brainer, put extra $$$ in your pocket.

G/L with your decision.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What are your thoughts on buying refurbished? I've always been wary of this...but is it legit? Does it depend on where you get it from?

If you get it from Apple, it will carry the same warranty as a new machine. Since the term "refurbished" implies that the machine has been made "like new", and since it's under warranty just like a new machine, I'd say go for it.

If there's something wrong, they'll repair it just like they would a new machine.

Honestly though, between the two machines, I'd have to go with the standard unless you need firewire. Otherwise, besides the aesthetic qualities, they're basically the same machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
If you get it from Apple, it will carry the same warranty as a new machine. Since the term "refurbished" implies that the machine has been made "like new", and since it's under warranty just like a new machine, I'd say go for it.

If there's something wrong, they'll repair it just like they would a new machine.

About the warranty--are you referring to the 1-year warranty it comes with, or are you assuming I'm buying the $250 3-year warranty?

Another thing is, if I buy the MB refurbished and thus less than $999, I wonder if it's worth $250 to buy the 3-year warranty? (Or can you even buy the 3 year warranty on a refurb?)

Should I only buy refurbished directly from Apple?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About the warranty--are you referring to the 1-year warranty it comes with, or are you assuming I'm buying the $250 3-year warranty?

No. All Macs (including refurbished machines) come standard with a 1 year warranty. You can also opt for AppleCare to extend that warranty for three years, just as you could a new machine.

Another thing is, if I buy the MB refurbished and thus less than $999, I wonder if it's worth $250 to buy the 3-year warranty? (Or can you even buy the 3 year warranty on a refurb?)

It depends on how long you typically keep your machines. If you intend to keep it for 3 years, in my opinion, it's worth it.

Should I only buy refurbished directly from Apple?

Tough question. Only refurbished units sold directly from Apple carry the same "as new" warranty. Your mileage will vary with other vendors - and they may offer a warranty, but it will only be honored by that particular company. So, it it goes out of business, you're out of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
If you don't need firewire and like the white, go for that. With that gift card your talking $400 difference comparing new to new.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if I'll need firewire..what kinds of things need it?

Firewire is used frequently for digital camcorders. Newer digital camcorders often use USB, but if you have an older model and you intend to use iMovie to edit video, you might want to consider it.

Also, Firewire is quite a bit faster than USB for external hard drives.

OP
B
Reaction score
In case anyone reads this later..I ended up going with the Pro! Actually, I got the middle of the three 13" MBP choices--the one with the 2.53 Processor and 4 GB RAM. I am very happy with it--I think my favorite thing about the Pro vs. the basic white one is the backlit keyboard!! I watch movies/TV shows on my Mac in my bed at night, and the backlit keyboard is very useful. However, I will say that so far I'm realizing that I probably did not need to get this updgraded 13" pro..the one with the 2.26 GHz processor most likely would have been fine...I really just wanted the extra RAM. But also, I haven't delved into my converting VHS to digital files endeavor yet--so I may thank myself once I begin that process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.