MacBook Pro Erratic Operation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.4 GHz, 8GB, Lion
MacBook Pro 15,1 (late 2008) 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB, 750 HDD, Lion 10.7.5

My machine has started some unruly behavior. It started to periodically freeze, mouse control becomes erratic (selects and drags everything it touches, left button does not work, etc),

After reading several posts and using the DriveDX utility to check my hard drive, I thought the problem was my HDD so I replaced my HDD with 750 GB WD. I then thought the problem was heat related and downloaded a copy of istat pro to check temps and fans. Fans are both running at about 2000 rpm seems normal. CPU is heating up to 75 deg., which I am told is not outside the normal range.

I thought the issues could be caused by low memory but the last time the system became unresponsive, I had 2GB of free memory.

I recently cleared my system caches and did an SMU reset which resulted in no changes.

I used Time Machine to restore the system when replacing the HDD. If the issue is software related, then I would have copied the bad files onto my new HDD.

Any other troubleshooting suggestions I could try.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My machine has started some unruly behavior. It started to periodically freeze, mouse control becomes erratic (selects and drags everything it touches, left button does not work, etc),

If this is the main issue...you could have a bad trackpad.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
Thanks for the track pad suggestion. Looks like MacBook Pros have issues with track pads. One of the sources could be a swollen battery, which I have. I'll replace the battery sooner rather than later and see if that remedies the situation.
Len

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After replacing the battery, the issues have not returned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One of the sources could be a swollen battery, which I have.

You should have mentioned this in your 1st post (assuming you knew about the swollen battery then). Since the battery & trackpad are physically so close together...a swollen battery could certainly be the issue.

After replacing the battery, the issues have not returned.

Thanks a ton for the update!:)

Sounds like mentioning the trackpad in this discussion sparked some ideas on your end...which sounds like were cured with that replacement battery.

Congrats!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.