• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Dvd Region codes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac and macbook pro 15"
Hi everyone. I was a bit surprised to discover the mbp restricts the playing of dvds to only one region code. Is there a way around this?
:(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are surprised you have not purchased many DVD drives or players.
There is not a single computer manufacturer (that I am aware of) that ship a region free DVD drive in their systems.

In order to manufacture a DVD drive, the manufacturer has to obtain a license from the DVD CCA, which mandates among other things that they must support region code. All DVD rom drives manufactured since Jan. 1, 2000 have been limited to a maximum of 5 changes of region.

The only way around this is to find a 3rd party that has hacked the particular drive you have and has put out a firmware update for it.
And while I don't care for this brand of DRM either, I personally do not have the money to travel around the world, thus am not collecting DVD's from all over the place and have never found this to be a real inconvenience.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Not a Hardware issue. Thread moved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
And while I don't care for this brand of DRM either, I personally do not have the money to travel around the world, thus am not collecting DVD's from all over the place and have never found this to be a real inconvenience.

Yea but Computers weren't made for you alone.

Reaction score
Yea but Computers weren't made for you alone.

+1. I buy dvds online because they often don't get a cinema or dvd release here in Australia. If your Mac is a media center it's a little restrictive if you can't region-free.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get mad at me guys. While the region encoding has never been an issue for me here in the US getting the movies I want, I can certainly understand how this would hamper some in other parts of the world.

You want to get on someone's case though, you need to look at the DVD CCA and the movie studios. That is where our fight is, not with each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Don't get mad at me guys. While the region encoding has never been an issue for me here in the US getting the movies I want, I can certainly understand how this would hamper some in other parts of the world.

It all comes down to taste, I mean some Films, TV Shows or Documentaries aren't always released Worldwide, so you have to import goods some time and simply because your taste is different from the rest of the Nation why should you be hampered in that.

But we are lucky there is people that dedicate their time to breaking these codes to prevent the non-sense of Region Codes and other forms of DRM Protection.

Wasn't having a go, just simply pointing out that when designing something you need to know that for some people just the standard isn't what they are looking for and if you can make it easier you should, so basically o need to put barriers up in the first place.

As soon as content owners realise this, then the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
I have been using the VLC player to play DVDs before and it worked fine no problems, but of late I have been getting this error message when I tried to play a DVD from VLC
Picture1.png

Any help on what is wrong?

Thanks
Billy

Reaction score
Will the DVD continue to play if you click "Do not display further errors," then "Dismiss"?

VLC popped that up with each video I played at the Internet Archive and does so with some WMA and WMV files and links. But in most cases it continues without interruption after I click both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
Will the DVD continue to play if you click "Do not display further errors," then "Dismiss"?

Haven't try that combo yet....but I did hit "Dismiss" without the checking "Do not display further errors" it just comes up with more errors and DVD still doesn't play.

I tried not going thru the DVD menu and skipping chapters to see if I could get it going, but still won't play :(

Billy

Reaction score

You want to get on someone's case though, you need to look at the DVD CCA and the movie studios. That is where our fight is, not with each other.

:Evil:

Not having a go at you mate.

Let freedom reign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz

Finally tried out the above combo...and the DVD movie still wouldn't play :[

Any more suggestions?

Cheers
Billy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.