Help! Cannot install Snow Leopard on refurbed MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi there, I was hoping someone out there can help me with this. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro from an auction site. The best way to describe the condition is refurbished. They wipe the hard drives before shipping them out. I can't figure out how to install Snow Leopard, which I ordered from the Apple Store, so the problem really shouldn't be the disk. When I turn on the machine, I insert the disk and power down. I turn the power back on while holding the "C" button and that doesn't do anything. If I hold down the "Option" key, I get the option to install from the disk, but it doesn't actually do anything. I hear the disk spin around for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it stops. Is there a different way to install the OS on a hard drive that was wiped?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sounds like a bad or dirty Optical Drive. Try cleaning the OS disk and give the Optical Drive a shot of canned air.
If that doesn't work you need to see about returning your MBP or using an external optical drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi there, I was hoping someone out there can help me with this. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro from an auction site. The best way to describe the condition is refurbished. They wipe the hard drives before shipping them out. I can't figure out how to install Snow Leopard, which I ordered from the Apple Store, so the problem really shouldn't be the disk. When I turn on the machine, I insert the disk and power down. I turn the power back on while holding the "C" button and that doesn't do anything. If I hold down the "Option" key, I get the option to install from the disk, but it doesn't actually do anything. I hear the disk spin around for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it stops. Is there a different way to install the OS on a hard drive that was wiped?

You didn't tell us what model MBP you have. If it's a newer model...it may not be capable of running Snow Leopard. If it's an older model...we need to know which model it is...to verify it can run SL.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't tell us what model MBP you have. If it's a newer model...it may not be capable of running Snow Leopard. If it's an older model...we need to know which model it is...to verify it can run SL.

- Nick

Good point on Lion . . . I was assuming an older MBP which may not be the case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good point on Lion . . . I was assuming an older MBP which may not be the case.

I'm thinking that it's probably an older MBP as well...so you're assumption is probably right.:)

As recent as the "Early 2011" MBP models can run SL. I just wanted to be 100% sure we weren't dealing with a really recent MBP.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm thinking that it's probably an older MBP as well...so you're assumption is probably right.:)

As recent as the "Early 2011" MBP models can run SL. I just wanted to be 100% sure we weren't dealing with a really recent MBP.

- Nick

Hi everyone. I really appreciate the quick responses!

Here was the description of it when I purchased it:

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" Laptop i7 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB DVDRW WiFi

When I spoke to an Apple support rep (1-800-MY-APPLE), I believe he said it was around 2010. On two different occasions, I was told that I could install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion if I wanted to.

I understand that I can also order the Lion thumb drive; would this be more likely to work? Also, if this MBP cannot install Snow Leopard due to system requirements, what do you think is the likelihood of being able to return SL since I was told that I could use it? I realize this would be between Apple and myself, but just wanted to see if you guys had gone through or heard of experiences like this.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should be a 2010 dual core i7, so Snow Leopard will install with no problem.

I'm still thinking your Optical Drive is gummed up. Definitely you could go straight to Lion via USB if you wished.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I think I have the problem solved, and wanted to give you guys the information too, in case you come across this again. I used canned air on the optical drive and still no results. Then I looked through Apple's support site and learned about retail versions of SL versus a restore disk, and I found out about build numbers. Since the retail version of Snow Leopard is a different build than the build that was pre-installed when this MBP was new, this could explain the reason as to why I have not been successful so far. From what I saw, the mid-2010 models seem to have this issue come up more frequently than other models. I just ordered the original install disk with the correct build number and will attempt when it comes in. I will let you guys know what I find. I would welcome any feedback on this. Here the site was looking at; the first shows builds for the hardware, the second shows the builds for the different types of software

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers
(My MBP is the 11th entry listed under MacBook Pro, about halfway down the page.)

Finding your Mac OS X version and build information

OP
T
Reaction score
That should be a 2010 dual core i7, so Snow Leopard will install with no problem.

I'm still thinking your Optical Drive is gummed up. Definitely you could go straight to Lion via USB if you wished.

Hello,

I replied to this last night, and it said it needed to be approved by a moderator; I do not see it so I am posting again.

What I have found out yesterday is that the build number of the retail version of SL is a different build than the original install that came with the MBP. Hence, the SL that I bought would not work. I ordered a replacement install disk last night and am waiting for it to come in. I'll post the results on here. Do you guys think this is worth a shot?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still think you may have hardware problems (most likely Optical Drive). But, as you suggest, worth a shot to try a different OS Disk. Keep us posted.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That might indeed be the problem. I was wondering though if perhaps when they wiped the drive they never formatted it properly. In other words for all practical purposes the installer does not know a drive is there. If that's the case you may be able to run Disk Utility anne format the drive properly.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That might indeed be the problem. I was wondering though if perhaps when they wiped the drive they never formatted it properly. In other words for all practical purposes the installer does not know a drive is there. If that's the case you may be able to run Disk Utility anne format the drive properly.

That could well be the case; the wording in the first post lead me to believe the Optical drive was not reading the OS disk correctly. But, still could be not properly formatted HD and even if the Optical drive started working wouldnt be able to install.

So, good suggestion to check

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That could well be the case; the wording in the first post lead me to believe the Optical drive was not reading the OS disk correctly. But, still could be not properly formatted HD and even if the Optical drive started working wouldnt be able to install.

So, good suggestion to check
It's possible that the OP is patient and does not mind waiting to get that machine up and running. I'm usually not that patient so this occurred to me as possible. Besides it kills a little time while waiting. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Then I looked through Apple's support site and learned about retail versions of SL versus a restore disk, and I found out about build numbers. Since the retail version of Snow Leopard is a different build than the build that was pre-installed when this MBP was new, this could explain the reason as to why I have not been successful so far.

According to Everymac.com, that model MBP came with 10.6.3 pre-installed. If the retail copy of Snow Leopard that you have is older, then it definitely won't install because it would be lacking the hardware drivers. A retail copy that has 10.6.3 or later (I think Apple updates the retail copies over time… not 100% sure though) should install.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to Everymac.com, that model MBP came with 10.6.3 pre-installed. If the retail copy of Snow Leopard that you have is older, then it definitely won't install because it would be lacking the hardware drivers. A retail copy that has 10.6.3 or later (I think Apple updates the retail copies over time… not 100% sure though) should install.

I hear what you are saying, but unless there was an actual hardware change in between the older OS version should still install . . . Or am I missing something.

What about Mac Pros before the latest mini-refresh? They were shipping with Lion since that was the latest OS, but I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Snow Leopard would install and run on them just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I hear what you are saying, but unless there was an actual hardware change in between the older OS version should still install . . . Or am I missing something.

What about Mac Pros before the latest mini-refresh? They were shipping with Lion since that was the latest OS, but I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Snow Leopard would install and run on them just fine.

If there were no hardware changes, then sure, I would think it should install. But he has a mid-2010 Core i7 from the looks of things. The prior models, mid-2009, had Core 2 Duos and shipped with 10.5.7. So yes, there were hardware changes and Snow Leopard was released after the mid 2009 models and before the changes were made for the mid-2010 models.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there were no hardware changes, then sure, I would think it should install. But he has a mid-2010 Core i7 from the looks of things. The prior models, mid-2009, had Core 2 Duos and shipped with 10.5.7. So yes, there were hardware changes and Snow Leopard was released after the mid 2009 models and before the changes were made for the mid-2010 models.

Aaah! So there could very well have been driver changes between the version he has and the as originally installed OS.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to provide some closure on this. I know it has been a while since my last post, but I did receive the Replacement DVD from Apple (for $17.00) and it has allowed me to install the OS. It took me through what I took as a normal install process where I had to format or partition the hard drive. The retail disc that I had was the same version number as the replacement disc but the build numbers were different. I posted a link to the different build numbers earlier if you want to see them.

PS, Apple took back my retail copy for a full refund.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Outstanding!

Thanks for posting back with an update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.