How to disable trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 150 GB
Hi,

I'm just wondering... How do I disable trackpad if I have a mouse connected to the MacBook?

This is driving me crazy and I can't type one sentence properly without the trackpad picking up some accidental input from my palms while I'm typing.

Btw, the "Ignore accidental trackpad input" option in settings doesn't work for me at all.

FYI, while typing the three sentences above, the trackpad picked up accidental input from my palms 5 times... Meaning, typing a 3-5 page report on my Macbook will literally drive me crazy!

*EDIT*: I just realized I can disable clicking on my trackpad... Certainly reduced the frequency of accidental inputs but apparently I still accidentally touch the clicking thing at the bottom of my trackpad as well while I'm typing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe better hand position while typing. Im not the fastest or the most accurate, but ive learnt with this being my first, portable to type in a way that i dont touch the trackpad anymore ....
The things we do lol
I had to employ a completely different typing posture but i seem to be typing in a more fluid action with the change

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to Mac Help, selecting "Ignore accidental trackpad input” should make the computer ignore the trackpad while I type, and I certainly didn't have this problem with the past...

I do notice that this issue only really started after switching over from a normal mouse to a Magic Mouse... Could that be the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It might well be. Have you got all the latest updates ??

I presume you are running SL ??

10.6.2 combo update

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I'm running SL but it's up to date...

C

chas_m

It got moved to Universal Access. Strange, but there it is:
20090829-pgwnsss2ic88rh68q5snenkj2.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mate, that was exactly what I needed... :)

Reaction score
It got moved to Universal Access. Strange, but there it is:
20090829-pgwnsss2ic88rh68q5snenkj2.jpg

Wow. I been using my uMBP since last Aug and have been looking for this function since I bought the machine. Even threads on this subject have failed to come up with this new, hidden location. I never use the trackpad and was always inadvertently moving the cursor while typing which was infuriating. Thanks so much for coming up with the answer chas.

Reaction score
Oh my gosh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! my Macbook was driving me crazy for ages and I simply could not find this... hope it works now - so far, so very good!
you are an angel to me! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.