Mail Smart Mailboxes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I am having a small problem with my Mail program and it's "smart" mailboxes. I have never used smart mailboxes before, but I decided to try them out just to see what exactly they were. Now I can't get them to do exactly what I want. I am a member of a googlegroups.com account (let's say [email protected] to make things easier). However, my mail app doesn't seem to recognize it the same way every time I get a message from it. By recognize, I mean, when I type it in my To: box to send to the group i start typing macs... and it automatically gives me the choice "Macs Are Cool" and I just use the down arrow and hit enter. Now a nice little blue bubble with "Macs Are Cool" is in the To: bar and I can send anything to the list because I know that it is really "[email protected]". But for some reason, when I recieve mail from the group from other members it shows up in the To: bar as one of three representations ("Macs Are Cool", "macs-are-cool", "[email protected]") So I have these three representations of the group address.

When i make a smart mailbox I used New SmartMailbox and then a window came up and I used "Any Recipient" "includes" "[email protected]". For some reason this only includes messages that have come in marked "Macs Are Cool" and NOT "macs-are-cool" or "[email protected]" the latter of which really really bothers me because that is explicitly what I entered in the smart mailbox. Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks and sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

Gaines

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Cool... no dice?

Reaction score
Cool... no dice?

I found a cool video tutorial which walks you through the set-up of a smart mailbox.

I would suggest that based on the lack of posts here, that you start again and using your experience, try to see if you can set up a new smart mailbox and get it to work the way you want it to.

The video can be accessed via a link in Section E : "New In Mail" : No. 3 "Using Smart Mailboxes"

http://www.atomiclearning.com/osx_tiger_orientation

This is all I can think of to suggest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.