trouble with everything! did i get ripped?

Reaction score
i just bought a power Mac G4 quicksilver (2001) processor:733 MHz, Memory: 768 MB SDRAM, .(also my first Mac) plugged it up and started surfing and such. It has firefox and safari and both keep messing up. i get message "the application quit unexpectedly" with a yellow "!" symbol.:( (ipod touch and my old pc have always worked fine with my internet, and router)Basically what i am wondering is if there is something i can do. could it be the internet or router itself? ive never had problems before?? i dont think its that but what do i know?? Maybe wipe it out and install new software or something. It has OS X 10.4.11 now and says it is up to date, so i wonder if i can erase the whole thing and install something new or is it too old?? too old or small to install dont know much about this stuff to know where to start. i only paid 150 for the whole thing (big monitor and all) the guy i bought it from is a good guy and he said he would give me my money back within 30 days if i didnt like it or whatever. So i wonder if i can fix this and it be useful with newer things such as ipod touch, movie watching, video editing, and other things i want to do or should i just get my money back?? Any suggestions would be great..thanks :Shouting:

OP
C
Reaction score
also..

you can find all the info on my mac on apple-history.com under 2001 section "power macintosh G4 (quicksilver)" if that helps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. So when u got it, did it have a clean install or it still have the previous owners data on it?
Try adding a new user - Sys Prefs > Accounts and click the plus under left pane. Make sure you click box for 'Administer this computer.' Once you have done that and logged into the new User. Then download this Combo update and install it which may sort out the issues. If all that is OK you can remove the previous User from Accounts.

Reaction score
I've been wondering about changing to a MAC. Not sure what to do. I feel that most compatibility with other users still is with PC. Lots of issues when sending files to someone who knows nothing about computers and make them understand how to convert a file to be compatible with their system. PFFF. Not sure what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
most compatibility with other users still is with PC
There are compatibility issues regardless which platform you choose.
The advantage of the Mac is that you can either run windows on a partition or Export Files in M$ format, Windows exports are easily handled by iWork.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i only paid 150 for the whole thing (big monitor and all) the guy i bought it from is a good guy and he said he would give me my money back within 30 days if i didnt like it or whatever.

If the "big" monitor you got with the computer was a "CRT" type monitor...then I wouldn't have paid more than $50 for the whole setup. If it was a 19" or larger LCD monitor...then $150 might have been a more fair price (but still a bit on the high side).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8
Thread Hijacked!

I've been wondering about changing to a MAC. Not sure what to do. I feel that most compatibility with other users still is with PC. Lots of issues . . . .

Nice thread hijack, desifitz! If you have specific questions or concerns, why don't you start your own thread to work those out? Stealing someone else's thread is . . . . well, rude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Go easy. Did you notice it was post #1 for that new member?

But the point is, you'll have a better chance of getting your question answered if you post your own topic, and give it a title that describes your issue. As a new member, it would be a good idea to find and read the Forum Rules.

OP
C
Reaction score
If the "big" monitor you got with the computer was a "CRT" type monitor...then I wouldn't have paid more than $50 for the whole setup. If it was a 19" or larger LCD monitor...then $150 might have been a more fair price (but still a bit on the high side).

- Nick
Sorry haha, guess I didn't have replies coming to my email... I know it's been a while, but my "big" monitor, I believe they call it a theater display? Or cinema display maybe.. I'll have to try and look it up... I still have the Mac, but don't use it much since getting into iPhone, and using my laptop and what not,.. I use it more for iTunes really, and for updating my phone but, the Mac has so little space on it, that it makes the smallest task very difficult... Usually I move my phone pics to a hard drive, and that takes forever, cuz I've only got like 2g of memory on it... Not sure why, or maybe these didn't have much memory in 01'... I don't know...

Nice thread hijack, desifitz! If you have specific questions or concerns, why don't you start your own thread to work those out? Stealing someone else's thread is . . . . well, rude.
Wow! It's ok by me I guess! Obviously I had no idea anyone even responded to me!! Haha

Thanks for defending my thread though really!

Welcome to the Forum. So when u got it, did it have a clean install or it still have the previous owners data on it?
Try adding a new user - Sys Prefs > Accounts and click the plus under left pane. Make sure you click box for 'Administer this computer.' Once you have done that and logged into the new User. Then download this Combo update and install it which may sort out the issues. If all that is OK you can remove the previous User from Accounts.
Still had other owners info I believe... But it does say "macG4" as the name of the "owner" or whatever... But the guy I got it from buys a lot of them from schools or office buildings, so it may have never been exactly customized by any one particular person... I may try you suggestions though. But I'm starting to think that this computer may not be worth the trouble. It's a bit old, and I don't believe I can update it anymore, since (if I remember correctly) it doesn't have an pentium processor... I think it was a power pc. I use it so little, I can't be for sure!!! I'm posting this from my iphone4 right now!! I'm definitely a Mac though! I just can't afford a new one!!! Apple all the way!!

C

chas_m

cere: As you probably know, the machine you bought is about a decade old. Mac OS X 10.4.11 is the latest OS you can put on that machine, but that too is many years old, four years old at least.

In what I call "software context," (ie, getting a matched set of similarly-old software), it's a great performer, but almost nothing modern and new will run on it at all. No recent iTunes, no current Safari, and most new software won't run on it. It's a VERY old machine by any measure. The screen is probably worth more than the computer.

I wouldn't have suggested something that old for anyone's first experience with Mac OS X. My only suggestion as to what to do is to find the original OS X restore discs that go with that machine -- or a new RETAIL copy of Tiger (very hard to find!) -- and start over. Software Update will get you back up to 10.4.11 and the latest software you can run, and the problems should disappear.

Really, what you ought to do is save up and get a recent Intel Mac of some sort. I just tonight agreed to buy a friend's old MacBook (Core Duo) from 2006 for $200. I'm just going to have it handy as a "loaner Mac" for friends who might temporarily need a Mac for a week or so, or to take on trips et al. Not sure you could find a deal that good, but you should be able to grab a 2007 model or so for not a whole lot more than that. You really, really want to be able to run Snow Leopard at least, going forward, and that means getting an Intel Core 2 Duo (2007) or later Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@cerebrlasassn...All I can say is WOW!!!

Getting a reply to an over 1 year-old thread from the original poster is VERY unusual...so thanks a ton for bringing some closure to this thread!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Haha, I googled my username! That's how I found this! I completely forgot about it because I figured no one answered it, because I never got any emails...silly of me to think I would receive replies to a thread that I started!! Haha! I didn't know I had to subscribe to it, i figured since I started it, it would come to my email anyway... Apparently not!! Oh yeah one more thing too... I don't think my monitor is worth more than the computer, cuz it's the type that has that weird plug that plugs in to the tower, and that's how it gets power too, so it won't work with any other computer unless it has that same port to plug it into and power it!!! But anyway, I'm still gonna have to try to wipe it out or something but we'll see!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah one more thing too... I don't think my monitor is worth more than the computer, cuz it's the type that has that weird plug that plugs in to the tower, and that's how it gets power too, so it won't work with any other computer unless it has that same port to plug it into and power it!!!

Hate to tell you this...but even with monitor's "weird" plug...it's probably worth more than the computer...especially if it's LCD & 17" or larger.

I bought a Powermac G4 733mhz (just like your's) over a year ago for $30 bucks...the monitor (even with the weird plug & if it's a 17" or larger)...I've seen selling for $50-$75 and more.

You see your Powermac G4 is about 10 years old (pretty ancient in computing terms)...but the monitor even if it's old & has the weird plug...can still be used with many of the Powermac G5's (6-8 years old). Which if you don't know...are a MUCH faster computer than the Powermac G4's...including dual processors in many of them.

Many of the Powermac G5's came with video cards with an ADC port (that's the name of that "weird" plug...ADC)...so that monitor can still be very useful with the newer Powermac G5 computer's...so it's price can remain higher than the older Powermac G4 you have...which gets worth less every day.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
The only good thing about a Mac from that era is that it is cheap.
It gives potential Switchers the chance to try the Mac way of doing things and the OS X software.
Think of it this way, if you were a lifelong Windows user and somebody suggested trying a Mac, would you be more likely to try the change if you could do it for £50 using a 10 year old computer or a 3 year old one costing £300. Once you have used the £50 machine to convince yourself that you can handle Mac stuff, sell it to the next switcher and buy a newer machine.
I did almost that by buying myself a Mac laptop. I can't remember the name of it but it was a black one rather than one of the newer white ones and it had bronze coloured keys and ran Jaguar (I think). After a while using that laptop I bought myself the PC I am using now which is a Mac Mini Aluminium.
It ain't the fastest computer in the world but I don't need speed for the things that I use a computer for.
Good luck with Macs,
Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.