Can I open word documents in open office for mac?

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
I am trying to edit some documents without having to buy a bunch of other software, mainly resumes and other docs. Nothing complex is involved here. Will open office do it or what do I need to use. I am a newbie mac owner and am trying to get all this stuff figured out.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, Open Office and the newer better LibreOffice will both open Word documents. If you just want to open Word documents without editing, saving, or creating, TextEdit is all you need.

BTW, LibreOffice is free.

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
Yes, Open Office and the newer better LibreOffice will both open Word documents. If you just want to open Word documents without editing, saving, or creating, TextEdit is all you need.

BTW, LibreOffice is free.

Thanks, I will need to edit these documents so your suggestion I will take and download libre.

thank you again

C

chas_m

If you just want to open Word documents without editing, saving, or creating, TextEdit is all you need.

I'm not sure why you say that.

Textedit can open, edit, and save Word documents just fine. I do exactly this all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure why you say that.

Textedit can open, edit, and save Word documents just fine. I do exactly this all the time.

I thought you only used Pages. :) Oh that's right, TextEdit is also an Apple application. (My mistake.)

C

chas_m

TextEdit is great for quick changes to Word documents (and other stuff). Just this morning, I used it to edit an RSS file.

I don't know where you got the idea I only use Pages. Though I love it, I also use (depending on the type of project I'm working on) Bean, Mariner Write, OmmWriter, WriteRoom or XPad.

Of these I'd say that for casual writing my top "go to" apps are XPad and Bean. For formal writing, Pages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.