Interesting concept: the iPholio?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Spotted this on Gizmodo and thought others would enjoy. It's a concept very similar to the Palm Folio as an extension device for the iPhone. I think it's a pretty interesting concept and the iPhone integration is pretty ingenious. What do you think?

http://gizmodo.com/344878/ifolio-converts-iphone-into-ultra+light-laptop-so-light-it-doesnt-exist

lpholio.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It looks as bad an idea as the Palm Foleo was.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
eh, I thought it was better than the Folio since the iPhone has "real OS X" and "real Safari" rather than the mobile-oriented software on the Treos. Plus, if web apps can become more powerful and useful, or Apple or some other developer could create some simple, yet powerful/useful, apps that could fit well on a device like the iPhone, I think the concept could be very usable.

It's basically making possible what people want out of UMPCs. They want something handheld, but big enough and powerful enough to do heavier, but simple things like spreadsheets and such work. I think UMPCs kind of fail in both respects. This seems like a much more practical way of achieving both. You still have 2 devices unfortunately, but it can't really be done effectively any other way. And this way you don't have to spend a lot of money on an ultra-portable because you're sharing hardware/software. The laptop portion is essentially a keyboard/LCD for the handheld, with maybe some extra memory and some additional software.

Anyway, I just think it's a good concept. I guess me and the guys at Palm are in the minority, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.