Questions re: upgrading to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
I'm currently using OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro, and I'm planning to switch to Mountain Lion when it comes out (finally upgrading haha). So I've got a couple of newbie questions.

1. Where do I get the upgrade?
2. Do I need to re-download all the programs I have, or will it still be there when I'm finished upgrading? Specifically, I run Windows XP on VMware Fusion -- will that be still there when I'm done upgrading or do I need to install that again?
3. Does upgrading mess with keyboard shortcuts or trackpad motions? I'm aware that these are a bit different when you get a new computer with the system, so would it change mine as well?

I know I should be backing-up everything. Anything I else should be aware of when upgrading? It'll be my first time. Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mountain Lion will only be available as a download from the Mac App store. Make sure you have a valid Apple ID registered.

We have no idea what Mountain Lion will or will not do, however, take note that Mountain Lion like Lion will not run any program that has PPC code. Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that will run PPC programs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm currently using OS X 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro, and I'm planning to switch to Mountain Lion when it comes out (finally upgrading haha). So I've got a couple of newbie questions.

1. Where do I get the upgrade?

The Mac App Store (right in your Dock)

2. Do I need to re-download all the programs I have, or will it still be there when I'm finished upgrading? Specifically, I run Windows XP on VMware Fusion -- will that be still there when I'm done upgrading or do I need to install that again?

Yes, it should be. But you should still do a FULL backup prior to installing. And that goes for any time you make a major change to your machine.

3. Does upgrading mess with keyboard shortcuts or trackpad motions? I'm aware that these are a bit different when you get a new computer with the system, so would it change mine as well?

Lion (and likely Mountain Lion) introduces a bunch of new gestures - so yes, it will likely change a bit from what you're used to.

I know I should be backing-up everything. Anything I else should be aware of when upgrading? It'll be my first time. Thank you!

It's a good idea to do system maintenance with a tool like Onyx to clear the cruft. I would also recommend getting your apps completely up to date to ensure compatibility. A tool like AppFresh is handy for this purpose.

Also, some people like to do a clean install of the OS, then bring back all of their apps/data/documents, etc with Time Machine after the update. This is the approach I normally take. But you may want to see how it does with a straight upgrade first.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in other words old programs for a old Mac Architecture before Apple put Intel into there machines

Just to elaborate - prior to 2006, all Macs used the PowerPC processor. Versions of OS X up to 10.6 included an emulation layer called "Rosetta" that allowed older applications to run (Office 2004 is a good example). Since 10.7, Apple is no longer bundling Rosetta, so you may find that some of your old apps will not run if they are PPC-specific.

Chances are you don't have many, but it's an important point nonetheless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Versions of OS X up to 10.6 included an emulation layer called "Rosetta" that allowed older applications to run (Office 2004 is a good example).

So, when upgrading to Lion (or Mountain Lion) would it be a good idea to upgrade to Office 2011 first? Or will the sequence not matter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It won't matter because Office 2004 is not going to work either from Lion or ML. All your documents will be preserved so it'll just be a matter of installing Office 2011 to get things going again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Office 2008 is Intel, is it not? It's Office 2004 that was the last PPC version, correct?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Office 2008 is Intel, is it not? It's Office 2004 that was the last PPC version, correct?

Yes, that's correct. The Office 2008 installer previously had PPC code in it but was updated by Microsoft to be compatible with Lion. So yes, Office 2008 should work in ML just as it does in Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.