audio disabled - want it back!

Reaction score
I'm not getting any audio from the MacBook Pro.
When I click the F5 button to raise the volume, I see a circle with a line through it beneath the volume icon.
Seems it is disabled. But I didn't disable it and don't know how to activate again. Help, please, on getting the sound back.
Cynthia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I've had that happen to me a few times when I had headphones plugged in but when I tried to play music or whatever no sound would come out and I would get that little circle with a line through it and looked down at the headphone plug and it was just not all the way in so I pushed it the rest of the way and it worked, maybe you could get some headphones and plug them in and take them out a few times and see it that fixes anything.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for responding to my post. Yes, I think it had something to do with the headphone. I don't quite understand it, but the audio is back now. It's good to hear from someone who's had this happen also. Next time I'm in the Apple store I'll see what they say. All's good now. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thankyou!

thats so good i just woke up booted up and the AUDIO WAS DEAD!!! same symptoms wichwas horrid i went through all this rubbish rebooting etc and it still didnt work i rang apple care they said bring it in but its miles away and i wouldnt get it back before i go away for a month to japan on wednesday! and i just read this pushed some headphones in and out like 5 times and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love you

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this hint. My teacher friend had used my computer for a projector slide show and had used the audio but when I went to play itunes--nada. I freaked. Had the circle with a slash for built in audio like the others. Restarted computer thinking I could reset things but that didn't help. Did a search and ended up here. Got my headset and plugged it in once--pulled it out and it works again. Unbelievable that it was that easy ...... but why does the computer do this???
njoy00

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. Was freaking out. Thank you, poster, and thank you Google! lol All fixed now! :D

Reaction score
superb

I had the exact same problem so I grabbed some headphones and plugged them in a few times until the problem went away. THANKYOU!!

Reaction score
Help! Sound gone when not on headphones!

Here I am 5 years since this thread was last posted running into the identical problem, but not finding the solution to work for me. Suddenly the sound icon on my MacPro goes gray, the circle with a line through it appears on sound when I press F10 and no sound comes out if I'm on the box itself and not on earphones. (With earphones works, I even hear sound from my speakers when the box restarts!). Is this a problem only major surgery (i,e, a visit to an Apple store sixty miles from where I live) my only solution?

I can't believe there isn't some oddball setting I've hit that isn't causing the problem. Anyone knowledgeable about a solution.

Reaction score
Here I am 5 years since this thread was last posted running into the identical problem, but not finding the solution to work for me. Suddenly the sound icon on my MacPro goes gray, the circle with a line through it appears on sound when I press F10 and no sound comes out if I'm on the box itself and not on earphones. (With earphones works, I even hear sound from my speakers when the box restarts!). Is this a problem only major surgery (i,e, a visit to an Apple store sixty miles from where I live) my only solution?

I can't believe there isn't some oddball setting I've hit that isn't causing the problem. Anyone knowledgeable about a solution.

Hi MacRutchik if you haven't solve the problem maybe this will help.

This may be caused by having multiply devices that can accept or play audio data. Please go to the System Preferences > Sound > Output tab and check if the selected device is the appropriate device, if not please select it and try your volume control if its working already.

I hope this helps
Cheers

Reaction score
Audio misery, continued

Hi MacRutchik if you haven't solve the problem maybe this will help.

This may be caused by having multiply devices that can accept or play audio data. Please go to the System Preferences > Sound > Output tab and check if the selected device is the appropriate device, if not please select it and try your volume control if its working already.

I hope this helps
Cheers

Sadly, it doesn't. This idea came up earlier in the thread. It looks as though it's not just a setting, but physical damage to the input jack. Frankly, I see this as a very serious design flaw that has clearly caused a lot of people a lot of trouble over the years. The geniuses (no sarcasm intended) who figured out to make the power cord magnetic, didn't apply similar ingenuity to the headphone jack, this inexpensive but frequently used slot, is apparently (so I'm told) tied directly to the logic board, one of the most expensive components of the MacPro's hardware. So frequent plugging / unplugging and occasional accidental hard pulls on this slot causes very serious damage requiring costly repair or outright replacement of the laptop. I'll soon be on my way to my nearest Apple Store, having backed up my computer, aware that it'll soon be out of my hands until I've paid the price to repair this design disaster. I'd be happy to hear this isn't necessary. But failing better advice, BE WARNED: Use EXTREME CARE in how you handle the headphone jack!!! :Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.