cannot be restored because it contains files that are in use by another application

Reaction score
I have tried just about everything but it says my "ipod" cannot be restored because it contains files that are in use by another application

How do I fix this?

Is it a hardware issue?

There are no other applications open when I try to restore my ipod.

Other Details

I have Home Premium Vista

All I’m getting now is the black screen with the Apple logo appearing for about six seconds, then it says "to connect to itunes to restore" and it will turn of again and do it in a cycle continously, but if it is disk mode it won't do this.

OP
ipoduser55
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I have already pressed menu and the center button to reset the ipod and it does nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Is iTunes trying to sync when you are tyring to restore? Did you do the reset before plugging in the iPod? Do you have other soft that syncs with the iPod?

I don't have an answer but sometimes asking questions helps.

Reaction score
Help!

:(
HELP! I just got this same message.

Actually, I just got this iPod (a replacement pod when my other iPod under full warranty died 2 months ago), and I've had problems with it every time I've tried to sync it. Usually, it says that the iPod cannot sync and needs to be restored, so I restore it, but now it won't restore all the way (it just deleted everything off), and I've got an empty pod.

I'm using a Macbook, the iPod is a 5th gen, all software is up to date.

The message is

The iPod cannot be restored because it contains files that are in use by another application.

No other app is open, though.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Take it back for another trade in. It sounds like it was messed up from the beginning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I'm guessing that you iPods are Windows format?

Reaction score
Take it back for another trade in. It sounds like it was messed up from the beginning.

Unfortunately, I live in the Caribbean and there's no easy way for me to trade it in without getting to the US. When I plan on going again in July, my warranty will have expired, so I was hoping someone had a solution for fixing it myself.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I formatted the ipod in windows then restored it, itunes treats it like a new unformatted ipod, all is well.

Reaction score
Here are the steps i found online to get my annoying Ipod to work! I fixed it in WINDOWS XP, so i have no guarantee if you are going to get the same results, but you can try?? lol..

Step one: Putting your Ipod into "Disk Mode". Instructions are in this link- Putting iPod into Disk Mode

Step 2: Plug your Ipod in the computer.

Step 3: Go to "My Computer" which may be on your desktop or Start menu.. and you'll see your Ipod name listed. Example: "RVPRESETS(E: )"

Step 4: RIGHT CLICK on "YourIpodName(E: )" icon and you'll see a list, look for "Format..." and click on it.

Step 5: A small window will show up, Now look, it will say Capacity, File system, Alllocation Unit Size, Volume Label and Format Options. MAKE SURE the FILE SYSTEM is in FAT32.

Step 6: For "Format options" at the bottom, put a check on the box where it says "Quick Format" then click START. This should format your Ipod, and YES you probably will end up losing all your music and photos and whatever else you have, it's worth it though, because you don't want to get stuck with a Ipod that doesn't work!!

Now you can open your Itunes program and it will receive the Ipod as a new Ipod, like the first time you got it, it's going to ask for a new name for your Ipod, ETC, ETC, so you can now restore it, etc.

-Rose O:)

Reaction score
Here are the steps i found online to get my annoying Ipod to work! I fixed it in WINDOWS XP, so i have no guarantee if you are going to get the same results, but you can try?? lol..

[snip]
Hey, I just registered to say thanks for the help! This was really getting to me, and it would have left my loving and loyal iPod useless after years of hard work ha.

Cheers again. :)

Reaction score
That's it!

I'm guessing that you iPods are Windows format?

If on mac: Disk Utility -> choose your iPod from left -> erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) -> then go back to iTunes and try restoring again ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.