Can't connect to Samba share.

Reaction score
I am sharing files from my Ubuntu server to computers in the house. When running Tiger, I had to enable encrypted passwords in smb.conf as OSX only accepts them (or something like that). Anyways, it worked.

Now, I just upgraded to 10.5, and now I can't connect to the shares. My shares are public - no users names, no passwords (my media servers need public shares). When I try to connect on 10.5, the login box appears, I can't connect as a Guest - "Host doesnt allow guests", and can't connect as registered user by removing the username as the "Connect" button disappears.

I have no idea what to do. I need to have them public as i mentioned because my media players require it.

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
is no one having the same problem??

My smb.conf looks like this (i just put the things I think are important as its on the Ubuntu box and I cant copy and paste it!!):
Code:
  security = user
  encrypted passwords = yes
  guest account = yes
  invalid user = root

[MP3's]
path = /media/mp3s
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

How do I connect to it????? I can't get it to work, keeping in mind that I need it to be Public so you dont need to enter a username and password so my media player can access the share.

What to do?

Cheers

Reaction score
I wish I knew something about your issue JungMin but I don't ... you may need to set the shares up from scratch ... I don't know ... hopefully you'll receive help soon but as you're probably aware it's chaos out there on the bleeding edge .... I'm sure you've been to the Ubuntu forums but that's all I can really advise .... please keep us up-to-date anyway.

Reaction score
When you used to connect to the shares using Tiger, did you login as a Guest or User?

Have you looked in Console for any clues ? There could be a broken alias or something ....

OP
J
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;516667 said:
When you used to connect to the shares using Tiger, did you login as a Guest or User?

Have you looked in Console for any clues ? There could be a broken alias or something ....

To be honest, I can't remember. I have myself confused now. I think I used a username, but didnt have to enter a password. Or it just connected automatically.

I know thats not much help, but after playing with this for soooo long now, I can't remember which way is up.

OP
J
Reaction score
Solved. A helpful dude over at the Ubuntu Forums helped me out. Needed to tweak my smb.conf - which I knew was the problem. Anyways.....all figured out.

Cheers

Reaction score
Help

I have a mediagate media player, which I connect to my mac to play movies and mp3's etc. I had it working in 10.4 like a champ but my 10.5 install broke it

I am not that tech savvy and I used to use sharepoints to do this through a gui in the system prefs. 10.5 broke that as well

I need to enable guest smb login on a 10.5 machine.

Can any one give me a step by step on how to alter my smb.conf (assume I know nothing) to allow guest login to a directory in 10.5?

Help, I'm desperate

Reaction score
Can't connect to Samba share

Solved. A helpful dude over at the Ubuntu Forums helped me out. Needed to tweak my smb.conf - which I knew was the problem. Anyways.....all figured out.

Cheers

Would have been really helpful if you'd posted your tweaked smb.conf file here for other people to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.