Why would Apple want to relock the iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions as to why Apple would want to relock the iphone through updates? The only company it effects is AT & T. If I'm Apple, I am not going to relock because I sell more phones by keeping it unlocked. It doesn't make sense to me from a business stance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
It makes perfect sense in the business sense if you've made an exclusive deal with AT&T. Why would Apple want to screw over their business partners?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's not that Apple is intentionally going out of its way to re-lock the phone. It's just that they're not worried whether firmware updates end up re-locking it as a consequence.

Apple doesn't really mind all the hacking and unlocking. The company has said that it won't actively disable the means for doing so. But it won't try to accommodate these hacks in its firmware updates. So if Apple wants to implement a bug fix or add a new feature, it's going to do it the way it wants to without regard for the consequences that hackers will experience.

Reaction score
Also the fact that they make money from the AT&T plan. Apple makes money on the device (not as much anymore) but they also make money on the service. It makes sense for them to want to keep as many iPhones on AT&T as possible.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Also the fact that they make money from the AT&T plan. Apple makes money on the device (not as much anymore) but they also make money on the service. It makes sense for them to want to keep as many iPhones on AT&T as possible.

I wonder if the money they make off the service is more than the money they would make from more sold phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's not that Apple is intentionally going out of its way to re-lock the phone. It's just that they're not worried whether firmware updates end up re-locking it as a consequence.

From what I read, that comment from Apple was directed at third party apps, not unlocking the phone for other services. They're 2 different things.

Whether or not Apple makes more or less money doesn't matter if they are bound by their contract with AT&T to do whatever it takes to prevent the phone from being unlocked. Everyone knows about phone unlocking and if AT&T wants to maximize profit from their exclusivity contract, it's only common sense that they would put some obligations for Apple to take steps toward keeping the iPhone on AT&T only for the US.

If such obligation exists, and I'm sure it does, and there's any hint that Apple isn't holding up their end, AT&T could file suit or impose some kind of penalty on Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
In order for Apple to make the phone not work SIM free, they would have to make updates to the baseband. However, it supposedly should be possible to get around this anyway, by preventing updates to the baseband.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
I think apple gets a % of At&T contract on the iphone.

It's not jut A&T benefiting.. Apple gets money selling the phone and for using it on AT&T

business is business, i'm sure apple knew full well it would be unlocked and in the end, everyone benefits.. AT&T needed a device like the iphone and Apple is making profit selling the iphone from AT&T and direct from them (unlocking software just opened up import mania)

Reaction score
It may be worth it, however, for Apple to break the contract with AT&T even if taking a slight loss to join up with Verizon which can gain them another million or two customers which will cover the expense of the contract break i'm sure. Now Apple can have 3-4 million iPhones sold and grow more rapidly i'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions as to why Apple would want to relock the iphone through updates? The only company it effects is AT & T. If I'm Apple, I am not going to relock because I sell more phones by keeping it unlocked. It doesn't make sense to me from a business stance.

Money...always about money...

I would guess the 20% they get for each base AT&Tcontract could be a factor...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It may be worth it, however, for Apple to break the contract with AT&T even if taking a slight loss to join up with Verizon which can gain them another million or two customers which will cover the expense of the contract break i'm sure. Now Apple can have 3-4 million iPhones sold and grow more rapidly i'm sure.
Many people don't seem to remember that Apple went to Verizon with the iPhone first... Verizon turned them down.
Verizon Wireless Vice President Jim Gerace said:
According to Verizon, Apple CEO Steve Jobs insisted that he have hard control over iPhone distribution.

The problem? While Apple and Verizon stores would have it, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and other Verizon distributors could have been left out. "That would have put our own distribution partners at a disadvantage" to Apple and Verizon stores, Gerace said.

Customer care was another hitch: If an iPhone went haywire, Apple wanted sole discretion over whether to replace or repair the phone. "They would have been stepping in between us and our customers to the point where we would have almost had to take a back seat … on hardware and service support
Source

In short, Verizon wanted to have complete control over the phone's distribution and workings... and Jobs wouldn't let them. So they passed on it. I seriously doubt that they would be willing to renegotiate things now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Many people don't seem to remember that Apple went to Verizon with the iPhone first... Verizon turned them down

Yea, I love how people forget that little tidbit when complaining about why the iPhone isn't available on Verizon ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.