Which heat gun for display/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I've read that a heat gun can make the replacement of PowerBook displays a lot easier. The TiBooks are really hard as are the G4 aluminum ones. I see different dual power guns for sale, some are pretty high (650-950 F) in both modes and some are kinda medium temps (350-650 F). I was hoping some one on the forum has experience with these and what style would be recommended? In most cases the removal of the display is very difficult due to the adhesive hence damage to the front bezels.:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How about just using a hair dryer? They can get pretty hot...but at the same time be less aggressive temperature-wise than one of the heat guns you mentioned.

- Nick

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about just using a hair dryer? They can get pretty hot...but at the same time be less aggressive temperature-wise than one of the heat guns you mentioned.

- Nick

I'll keep that in mind, but I'm thinking the heat gun could concentrate the heat fast and only where needed to minimize the chance of damage. But usually the display is toast anyway. But in the case of the hinge replacement on the TiBooks the display needs to stay good.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would send it to iResQ and have them do it. Not to say that you couldn't do the job properly, but from what others have stated about removing that bezel it can be a real bear.

Give them a call on their toll free line and ask how much it would be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll keep that in mind, but I'm thinking the heat gun could concentrate the heat fast and only where needed to minimize the chance of damage. But usually the display is toast anyway. But in the case of the hinge replacement on the TiBooks the display needs to stay good.:)

I'm not sure if you've ever used one of those heat guns (I have)...and they can get VERY hot VERY fast. They work great if you're trying to strip paint off wood around the house or remove floor tiles or linoleum...but the heat from them is very intense...and I'm thinking that with the delicate nature of electronics/display...it's going to be hard to control the heat. Basically...something may get damaged due to heat exposure (before) the adhesive you're trying to soften up is "softened".

This is why I suggested the hair dryer. The hair dryer heat is still very hot...but not so hot that damage can or will occur too quickly. If you're concerned about concentrating the heat where needed...be creative & think out of the box!;)...make your own "concentrator" out of a piece of thin cardboard...and tape it to the outlet of the hair dryer.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if you've ever used one of those heat guns (I have)...and they can get VERY hot VERY fast. They work great if you're trying to strip paint off wood around the house or remove floor tiles or linoleum...but the heat from them is very intense...and I'm thinking that with the delicate nature of electronics/display...it's going to be hard to control the heat. Basically...something may get damaged due to heat exposure (before) the adhesive you're trying to soften up is "softened".

This is why I suggested the hair dryer. The hair dryer heat is still very hot...but not so hot that damage can or will occur too quickly. If you're concerned about concentrating the heat where needed...be creative & think out of the box!;)...make your own "concentrator" out of a piece of thin cardboard...and tape it to the outlet of the hair dryer.

HTH,:)

- Nick

That's a good idea I have a hair dyer I use to get my Cube power supply going so it may become dual purpose:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good idea I have a hair dyer I use to get my Cube power supply going so it may become dual purpose:)

No guarantees that it will get the job done...but worth a try. If you already have a hair dryer...then you don't have to spend any extra $$$ on a heat gun...and you get some practice with a less aggressive device.

The heat from those heat guns is so hot...350-950°F (as you posted earlier):

- that it can easily ignite paper or cardboard (451°F)
- possibly compromise the solder used in electronic connections (melts around 400 °C (752 °F))
- and would certainly destroy the plastic insulating materials on wiring & plastic wire connectors

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.