• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help Me Prove That Mac Can Do Everything!

Reaction score
You see, my sister is against Mac for no good reason at all. However, her Sony Vaio has been sent for servicing, and has been that way for a couple of days now. She asked me if I can make a copy of a DVD she made for her friend, but I have no idea how to do so.

Here's the situation.

She made a DVD, complete with a DVD menu, a bunch of videos and stuff like that, just like an ordinary DVD.

She'd to duplicate what she made onto a blank DVD that can be watched on a DVD player at home.

So, how do you do that?

Help me prove that Mac can do everything, please. Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Please help.

I have ripped the entire DVD onto my Mac with Mac the Ripper. The file size is a little more than 600MB.

However, when I used Burn to burn the DVD, it keeps saying that there was a problem authoring the DVD.

What is the problem?

Help, please.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There's no need to rip it if it isn't a commercial disc. You should be able to just do a straight disc copy with a program like Burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hate to bust your bubble, but OS X can't even do something as simple as Cut and Paste. And no, dragging to a folder is NOT cut and paste. Entirely different.

OS X Also doesn't do file tree view in the "sidebar". Sure, you can view things tiled which puts folders from left to right and all that jazz, but it's still not as efficient as a drop down file tree, because it's a lot more tidy.

There's more but my point is that OS X can't do everything. However, it CAN burn a DVD with the proper software installed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hate to bust your bubble, but OS X can't even do something as simple as Cut and Paste. And no, dragging to a folder is NOT cut and paste. Entirely different.

Check into FileCutter.

OS X Also doesn't do file tree view in the "sidebar". Sure, you can view things tiled which puts folders from left to right and all that jazz, but it's still not as efficient as a drop down file tree, because it's a lot more tidy.

There are other programs like PathFinder than can do these things the way you feel is more efficient.

There's more but my point is that OS X can't do everything. However, it CAN burn a DVD with the proper software installed.

Stop expecting OS X to do things the way you're used to doing them in Windows and you'll be a much happier camper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Check into FileCutter.

There are other programs like PathFinder than can do these things the way you feel is more efficient.

Stop expecting OS X to do things the way you're used to doing them in Windows and you'll be a much happier camper.

Thanks. I had looked into Cutter a day or two ago, and it looks like a viable solution, but still burns me (principle) that it will cost $5 to do something so simple, that should be an integral part of the desktop work flow. Have you ever tried Finder Pop ? I saw mention of it on the File Cutter web site, and happens to be free. Not sure if it does exactly the same thing though.

I'll give Path Finder a looksie, thanks for the reference. (Hope it's not shareware !) And to be honest, I'm not expecting OS X to be Windows. I haven't used Windows for over 3 years, actually. Been using Linux (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint and other variations just for kicks) and find that it is just more efficient for every day work.

You have to understand, I thought that with all the bragging that my friends have done, and all the bragging that I saw, it would be THE OS to beat all OS's, especially at the premium price it costs, and then comparing it with a free OS... It can certainly borrow a few tricks from it. And after all, I don't think that would be such a bad thing considering that they share some of the same components under the hood.

Anyway, sorry..I was just trying to be honest while throwing in some sardonic humor to lighten things up. I'm many things, but certainly not a troll just because I have an unbiased view...

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway, sorry..I was just trying to be honest while throwing in some sardonic humor to lighten things up. I'm many things, but certainly not a troll just because I have an unbiased view...

Doug

Understood, but just because you feel that certain things are more efficient the way that you like to do them, doesn't mean that the way it is done in OS X is wrong - it's just different. Linux distros mostly mirror Windows, there's very little originality there, whereas Mac OS X has evolved over time under its own paradigm. There were some awesome things that the Amiga did that no other mainstream OS does even today, but that doesn't mean I characterize those OSes as inferior or flawed, just different.

This is why I often tell people that are considering a Mac that they shouldn't if they're not prepared to check their experience and habits at the door and try something new. If you can tolerate Windows or Linux, then there's no need to switch. There's no "killer" app or feature that Macs have that nothing else can do.

Reaction score
I have to copy non commercial DVD's all the time.

1. Go to your Desktop and create a new Folder.

2. Insert the DVD (The one your sister Made) Open the DVD contents, and then copy all the contents of the folder into the folder you just made on your desktop.

3. In the folder on your desktop, right click and create a 'New Burning Folder'

4. Copy all the contents of the folder into the Burning Folder.

5. In the burning folder in the top right there is a button called 'Burn' Click it, enter a blank disk, fill in the name page, and click Burn.

Hope this helps!

And macs can do anything!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And macs can do anything!

No they can't. My Mac could not interface with my 3 year old's "Elmo Knows Your Name Talking Cell Phone". ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Back to the actual question...

Here's the situation.

She made a DVD, complete with a DVD menu, a bunch of videos and stuff like that, just like an ordinary DVD.

She'd to duplicate what she made onto a blank DVD that can be watched on a DVD player at home.

So, how do you do that?

I think you can use Disk Utility for that. Insert the DVD, start Disk Utility, click on the title of the disc, click New Image at the top of the window to create a disc image file on your drive. When that is completed, remove the DVD, select the disc image in the Finder then click the round yellow and black burn icon in the top right side of the Finder window. That option is available in the File menu near the bottom as "Burn <discName.dmg> to Disc...". It will ask you to insert a DVD so follow the instructions from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.