• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Care or "Black Tie"

Reaction score
Hi,

bought my 21.5 imac in Sept.'10. I have not purchased the coverage. What are your thought between Apple Care and Best Buy's "Black Tie" Protection program. thanks ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

bought my 21.5 imac in Sept.'10. I have not purchased the coverage. What are your thought between Apple Care and Best Buy's "Black Tie" Protection program. thanks ...

Best Buy's "black tie" includes accidental damage coverage (including liquid spills & replacement batteries for laptops)...Applecare does not.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
But Apple are known for very good customer service. And sometimes repair free outside of the warranty. Is best buy this good?

Reaction score
Best buy is trash, they take forever (2-3 weeks) and my friend got his notebook back with a large scratch on the lid.

OP
D
Reaction score
I wasn't sure about it. They are always trying to sell you extra protection. Apple Care seems more appropriate since you are dealing directly with Apple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But Apple are known for very good customer service. And sometimes repair free outside of the warranty. Is best buy this good?

Yes...Apple & Applecare does have some "unwritten" flexibility compared to Best Buy. On the other hand...I don't think that I've heard of many complaints about the Best Buy "Black Tie" warranty (of course I'm sure there are some folks that weren't happy...just like some folks also complain about Applecare).

You got to admit though...with all of the threads we see here on Mac-Forums regarding dead batteries (via normal use/not manufacturing defects)...and liquid spills on notebooks...the Best Buy "black tie" warranty covers both.

Yes...the Best Buy "black tie" warranty covers:

- accidental damage
- one free replacement battery (even if worn out via normal use)
- one free replacement/repair for liquid spills

After one accidental damage or liquid spill repair...you then need to repurchase another Best Buy "black tie" warranty. And I believe that the Best Buy warranty is not too much different in cost versus the extended Applecare.

Of course the positives for Applecare are:

- first 12 months free/included
- VERY good customer service
- usually a replacement computer after 3 failed attempts to fix a problem (not actually an official policy...just via users experiences)
- some out of warranty repairs (either via special extended Apple repair programs, or a subjective ruling by a "friendly/very nice" Apple person!:)
- very fast onsite (Apple Store) repairs...many times same day (within 1-2 hours).

Each plan certainly has positives.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best buy is trash, they take forever (2-3 weeks) and my friend got his notebook back with a large scratch on the lid.

Like I said...there's always someone who's dissatisfied with the Best Buy warranty...nothing in life is 100%. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that weren't satisfied with Applecare as well.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't have any experience with Best Buy Black Tie but after my good experience with Applecare I was interested and did an Internet search. Found the post below from the Best Buy community forums. Have no idea how indicative it is of their program, but makes an interesting read.

BBY - Worthless Black Tie Protection Plan - Best Buy Community

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have any experience with Best Buy Black Tie but after my good experience with Applecare I was interested and did an Internet search. Found the post below from the Best Buy community forums. Have no idea how indicative it is of their program, but makes an interesting read.

Ahhh...I don't believe anything posted on internet forums!!! Ha ha! ;);)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh...I don't believe anything posted on internet forums!!! Ha ha! ;);)

- Nick
But since this is now posted on an Internet forum you can't believe it! :eek:

That must mean you have to believe EVERYTHING on Internet forums from now on. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But since this is now posted on an Internet forum you can't believe it! :eek:

That must mean you have to believe EVERYTHING on Internet forums from now on. ;)

I think that you're using the laws of Algebra here...where a:

negative x negative = positive! ;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that you're using the laws of Algebra here...where a:

negative x negative = positive! ;)

- Nick
Actually I was using the laws of Star Trek, as in the episode where Cpt Kirk uses a logical paradox to overcome a robotic probe. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I was using the laws of Star Trek, as in the episode where Cpt Kirk uses a logical paradox to overcome a robotic probe. :)

Do you mean this one:

320x240%5B1%5D.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I never buy warranties from the middleman...only from the actual manufacturer. I don't care how cheap it is, or what additional crap they can cover, in the end, they are warranting a device/item that they don't actually fix themselves, but have to ship out to another facility/manufacturer to fix. While some random items might be worth the additional BB warranty, when it comes to apple products, it's stupid to pass up on apple's own warranty and go to someone else. You broke it "accidentally," tough, deal with it! That's not what a "warranty" is supposed to cover. A warranty covering "accidental damage" is just something to lure people in to buy their warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Applecare has always done me right the few times I have had to use them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to all of this.... I was told by a "Geeky" that most repairs to Apple hardware done under the "Black Tie" warranty are sent out to Apple to be done anyway. ;P

Reaction score
To add to all of this.... I was told by a "Geeky" that most repairs to Apple hardware done under the "Black Tie" warranty are sent out to Apple to be done anyway. ;P

Hmm. I've seen the "black tie" employees working on an Apple computer in store before. *Scratches head*…maybe they were just checking things out? :Confused:

My parents bought my MacBook at a BestBuy…the Apple standard warranty went out three months ago. I need to do something about that because I don't think I'll be getting a new computer anytime within the next three to five years unless something happens to this one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. I've seen the "black tie" employees working on an Apple computer in store before. *Scratches head*…maybe they were just checking things out? :Confused:

Maybe they were confused...

"What is this thing?...a Macintosh...what the heck is a Macintosh??";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Given that is an iMac, I'd go with Apple Care. The cost for a desktop is less, and the main difference between Apple Care and GSBTP is the accidental offer on portables. I don't know off hand what the 4 year price for an iMac is, but I have good personal experience with Apple Care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.