Mac Finder Column View

Reaction score
How do you by default make all mac OS 10.4 finder windows all open to "column view" (not icon or list view).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
In the Finder window, select the column view. Then click "View/Show View Options". Deselect "always open in icon view" or whatever it says. It will then change to "always open in column view". Select it and you're off and running!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In the Finder window, select the column view. Then click "View/Show View Options". Deselect "always open in icon view" or whatever it says. It will then change to "always open in column view". Select it and you're off and running!

John, you are running 10.5 Leopard correct? It's a little different in Tiger. I am booting up my G4 with Tiger as I type this. Tiger does not have that checkbox like leopard does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its in Finder . Preferences

see piccy

finderprefsmt0.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
louishen beat me to a pic! Good Job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
John, you are running 10.5 Leopard correct? It's a little different in Tiger. I am booting up my G4 with Tiger as I type this. Tiger does not have that checkbox like leopard does.
Yes, I'm running Leopard. Sorry, I didn't know you were running Tiger.

OP
J
Reaction score
Its in Finder . Preferences

see piccy

finderprefsmt0.png

"piccy"! haha! lol. like the word!
Fellow mac dudes-geeks, what have you.

I actually solved this one immediately after posting but forgot to post that I found the solution!! I'll do that next time!

I went to Apple's "Mac Help?" and believe it or not they, of course, had the Column view check mark trick. I always forget about apple's built-in help system, thinking it's catered to newbies, but it's often thorough and has the answers on occasion!!

Did you boot-up in tiger just to see how it would work for the troublehooting, by the way, dtravis?

Thanks again awesome mac people!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I am so glad that picture was posted

because it is saving my sanity. I keep going to Finder Preferences as directed but under my General Tab there is no "open new windows in column view" box. There is the option to open folders in a new window but no second option underneath it. Hmm, I guess it would be helpful to tell you what I am running. (Pauses to go figure that out). I am running Mac OS X 10.5.4 on an iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.